custom paint, value degrade question.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
28 Dec 2007 09:58 #186723 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic custom paint, value degrade question.
Ron after reading your post about your Ford pickup all I can say is you screwed up BIG TIME.

Back in 92 and 93 Ford had a program for owners of F series pickups where they paid out big bucks to totally repaint them due to bad factory paint. The program was called the owner dialogue program and it came about after the attorneys general of several states were going to haul Ford into court due to all these trucks they built where the factory paint would literally blow off the trucks. It was caused by the UV rays penetrating through the paint layer and causing the primer to oxidize, once this happened the paint layer just turned loose blowing off in big chunks. In states where the sun shined a lot it was worse. I was living in Florida at the time and worked for Manheim auto auction, who through their association with Dupont, worked out a deal with Ford to repaint a bunch of these trucks. The process involved stripping the trucks to bare metal, repriming them and then repainting them. The only cost to the customer was they had to agree to fix any dents in the truck at their expense. Ford picked up the entire tab for the rest of the cost involving the repaint.

When we repainted these trucks, we used Dupont base-clear paint and after they were re-sprayed in a $250,000 Devilbiss full downdraft paint booth the paint was baked on. I can't tell you how many happy owners told me that their trucks looked better than they did when they were new.

Ron had you only known, you could have had your perfect truck made better than perfect and today you would not suffer from this psychosis whereby you believe that any bike without factory paint is merely a parts bike.:laugh:

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.