550 LTD Tank Swap?

More
24 Dec 2007 20:04 #186324 by Aric
550 LTD Tank Swap? was created by Aric
Hey guys,
Merry Christmas to All!
So today I noticed that the fuel tank on my restoration project was leaking slightly. Looked like it was coming from the low fuel sensor. Pulled it off and it actually appears to have pinholes near the sending unit / sensor. It looks to have been Kreemed at some time.
Anyone know;
1. Can it be Kreemed again? or
2. Where can I find out what tanks will fit the '82? Prefer one with same type setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2008 18:12 #187688 by mcintyreruss
Replied by mcintyreruss on topic 550 LTD Tank Swap?
check ebay, I found a new tank for my 81 kz550 ltd, cheap.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
04 Jan 2008 19:20 #187699 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic 550 LTD Tank Swap?
Do a search on www.buykawasaki.com for the part number of your tank, and what other years use the same one.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
04 Jan 2008 19:47 #187702 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 550 LTD Tank Swap?
Acetone dissolves Kreem. If the pinholes are accessible, could try using a small paint brush to dab a little acetone over the leaking area in hopes of re-sealing the holes. Failing that, could try "painting" on a fresh coat of Kreem over just the leaking area. Be careful to keep acetone away from any exterior paint. Other products to coat tank interior are reportedly superior to Kreem, but am uncertain whether a painted-on patch job with them would properly adhere.

I used three gallons of acetone to remove all the old deteriorating Kreem coating inside my Z1 tank. It didn't take long for the acetone to dissolve all the old Kreem coating. Then used the muratic acid method, etc. to de-rust the tank interior. But had no pin-hole problem whereby the acetone or muratic acid could escape during the process and possibly damage the exterior paint. Having known pin-hole leakage will necessitate figuring out how to prevent leakage of acetone, acid or whatever from the tank during the refurbishing process (if protection of exterior paint is desired).

Of course, expenses for products (acetone, acid, coating, etc.) could go toward costs of a replacement tank.

Good luck with the repair. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jan 2008 06:13 #187734 by Aric
Replied by Aric on topic 550 LTD Tank Swap?
Hey Thanks Guys! I appreciate the info and will keep it in mind when it actually does start to leak. Turns out it was not leaks in the tank per se, but was leakng from the low fuel sensor and running along the edge of the tank seams. Sterted with a simple repair and now it has become a full blown strip and repaint project! You know how that goes.:whistle:
If you'd like to see progress check out;

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab.../id,187038/catid,11/