Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 11:21 #18470

• Nevco48
  • Nevco48's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello, I'm new to this site, but I've learned alot already. I've got a '79 750 LTDt that I got for cheap, got it running, but still needs more fine tuning. I picked up a $5 '78 junker for parts and tear-down experience. The '78 had lower, straighter handlebars, when I hold them up to the "79, I like them better. Could someone tell me which ones were more likely to have been original on the '79? Also, anything I should watch for if I attempted a switch?
Secondly, how 'bout feedback on a tall sissy bar? The first thing I did was pull that off. Now I'm wondering if it would be a cool "70's thing" (like old Allman Bros) or a nasty 70's thing (like disco).
Like I said, I'm new, I hope my photo goes along with this post....
Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 11:23 #18471

• Nevco48
  • User
Damn, it just said my photo was too big. How do I shrink 'em?

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 12:43 #18496

• Shaner
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The sissy bar is only 70's cool if you have shag carpet on the back! But if your going that way look at finding a windjammer fairing and slap it on too!

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 14:30 #18512

• Nevco48
  • User
Hmmm, shag carpet...... that could work! I wish I still had some of those god-awful platform shoes from way back then to complete the look.
Go Colts? Didn't they lose? (Just like my Pats):(

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 15:19 #18520

• Shaner
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Go Colts? Didn't they lose? (Just like my Pats)

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT IT YET....AND ON TOP OF IT I LIVE IN DENVER SO THE WHOLE FREAKIN TOWN IS GOING CRAZY....

but I'm not talking about it yet!:whistle:::angry: :pinch:

My '76 750B parts bike had the fairing and BIG sissy bar and highway pegs on it when I got it. The sissy bar was shagged behind the backpad with on of those metal "S" supports behind it.

No, seriously go with whatever your style wants or needs....It's your bike and your not going to void the warranty on it if you do something....;)

750 LTD style questions from a new guy 18 Jan 2006 17:40 #18558

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Nevco48 wrote:

....Could someone tell me which ones were more likely to have been original on the '79? Also, anything I should watch for if I attempted a switch?
Secondly, how 'bout feedback on a tall sissy bar? ...

Hello!

Here's a pic of both my 750s, and you can see the difference in the bars. I like the lower ones, too. The bars on the left are stock and higher, the ones on the right are "superbike" bars.

If you lower the bars, you mainly run into a minor problem of the brake line having to bend too much. I had it this way for a yer, and am finally replacing the brake line with a shorter stainless steel setup. The throttle cables and clutch cables were fine. The mirrors are just about useless with the lower bars, and I kinda' got used to contorting just a bit to see behind me... ;)

As for the sissy bar, for me it hold my soft cargo bag in place AND holds by backpack/computerbag on days that it's too hot to wear it on the commute....

Post edited by: biquetoast, at: 2006/01/18 20:41
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• Page: