VIN Sticker Adhesive?

More
16 Nov 2007 10:24 #181343 by Norseman
VIN Sticker Adhesive? was created by Norseman
I was successful in removing the VIN sticker in pristine condition from the frame before I send the frame out for powder coating.

I was also able to do the same with the drive chain instructions from the cross-plate under the seat.

My question is if anyone knows what adhesive to use when I put the stickers back on? The drive chain sticker is obviously not that critical, but I'd really like to glue the VIN sticker back on when the frame comes back. Also, there was a piece of tape over the VIN sticker that the factory had applied - at least I think they did.

Any advice is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2007 10:31 #181345 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic VIN Sticker Adhesive?
how did you remove the vin sticker?

More
16 Nov 2007 11:19 #181351 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic VIN Sticker Adhesive?
A good exterior contact cement should work for the sticker. As far as the tape if you have a tractor trailer inspection station in your area checker there, in New York state they put the inspection sticker on the bumper with tape, I think that is nationwide though.

HOW did you get the sticker off in one piece?????

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
16 Nov 2007 12:14 #181356 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic VIN Sticker Adhesive?
The best way is to use adhesive transfer tape. What it is is basically a 2 sided tape, but only adhesive, no actual "tape" center. You get a piece larger than what decal you are working with, apply it to the decal just like two sided tape, then simply rub off around the edges to remove any excess area of adhesive. Last, peal off the decal from the tape and all the adhesive has transferred to the decal in a nice thin layer just like it was originally. No oozing glue. The standard industry transfer tape is 3M 467MP or 468MP. I doubt you can easily obtain it. If you want to mail me the decals, I'll apply the tape if you'd like. A lot neater way to go.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
16 Nov 2007 14:01 #181364 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic VIN Sticker Adhesive?
Wow, Ron, that's a very generous offer, and I appreciate your help! At your convenience, just pm me the mailing instructions and I'll mail you the two stickers.

The way I got the stickers off was with a thin metal ruler, a hair dryer, and a lot of patience:P . Basically, I heated the cover tape with the dryer, and slowly worked one corner edge while applying heat. Then I slowly pulled diagonally down while heating the "crease" where it was presently separating.

Once the tape was off, I did the same with the VIN sticker. But I was even more careful as the sticker is made from a type of vinyl that stretches and tears easily. Once I got a corner worked loose, I used the metal ruler to slide underneath the corner and used the ruler to ensure an even straight pull. I was careful not to heat too much and melt the vinyl. The metal in the ruler will cool the sticker portion, preventing excessive stretching. Gradually, it started separating and peeling loose.

Once I had it off, I cleaned the remaining adhesive from the back of the sticker with a rag dampened, but not wet, in mineral spirits, avoiding getting the solvent on the front. Then I cleaned the front with a cloth and water with dishwasher detergent.

The VIN sticker was a little wavy and stretched at the edges, so here's what I did. I took two glass plates from a couple of picture frames. I placed both sickers between the plates and heated gently with the hair dryer, then let it cool down for 15 minutes. I repeated this cycle three times. When I removed the stickers from between the glass plates, they were straight, without any distortion or stretching.

But I have to stress that I went ever so slow when removing the VIN sticker. The heat softens the adhesive, but obviously also the vinyl. I did discover that the adhesive, when heated, will soften more than the vinyl, so it is possible to do. The vinyl does have some memory to it, so the glass plate trick worked really well.

Hope this helps...

Post edited by: Norseman, at: 2007/11/16 17:04