Engine Cleaning???

More
22 Oct 2007 17:00 #177675 by Norseman
Engine Cleaning??? was created by Norseman
Guys, I need some defined advice here. I'm in the process of stripping down my KZ1000 for a complete overhaul, including frame, tank and covers pro paint job. I want to do the engine as well, but I'm not going to paint it (at least I don't plan on it).

I have several questions after searching/reading all the related posts:

1) The original engine paint is in bad shape - lots of places where it wore off, leaving darkened spots. What really is the best method for removing the original paint?

2) I've read where bead blasting is not recommended unless the engine is torn-apart. The reasoning is it's near impossible to clean out all the grit from the blasting. Am I understanding this right? I will be doing all the engine work with the engine out of the bike. Is beadblasting still a mistake? My engine runs great, and the only oil leak I have is from the shifter oil seal, which I believe I can replace without tearing the cases apart. So I really don't have a need to tear down the engine.

3) Assuming all the paint and crud is removed - is it worthwhile to polish rather than re-paint? I went to the POR website, and they do sell a silver engine paint that supposedly is very durable. One thing I do know - I ain't rattle-canning the engine only to have it look bad after 2 or 3 years.

4) I came across a product on fleaBay called MAAS - supposedly a polishing wonder product. Yeah, the picture of a polished engine looked great, but that don't mean a thing. They never stated whether it simply polished a painted engine in good shape, or if it was "raw" aluminum. Have any of you heard of this product before, or used it?

I know what I'm asking is to a large extent opinion-based, but I welcome opinions - you guys usually base your opinions on experience, so let'em rip:)

What say you engine external restoration gurus?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2007 18:47 #177687 by TODDZ
Replied by TODDZ on topic Engine Cleaning???
I started a thread on Mass in projects check it out. i took out my engine and had it blasted, not sand I forgot what the guy used it turned out pretty good but not like that picture on eboy

Post edited by: TODDZ, at: 2007/10/22 21:56
they blasted it with baking soda!

Post edited by: TODDZ, at: 2007/10/22 22:35
Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2007 08:08 #180663 by kzdev1360
Replied by kzdev1360 on topic Engine Cleaning???
i saw that stuff on ebay too and i was curious also..but if you notice they say that the picture shows a kz750 motor but the picture i saw was definatly a 900 or 1000 motor:S if they cant get that straight idk what to think about them..but it sure looks darn good.

2006 Gsxr 1000
1976 Kz900 LTD
1977 Kz650 (720 motor, andrews cams)

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
12 Nov 2007 08:49 #180672 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Engine Cleaning???
I love what a good bead blast does to the look of an engine. Makes them look like new.

If I were really looking to do a quality resto job, I'd probably tear down the engine and blast it. But since it sounds like you don't want to do that, what's wrong with blasting it whole? Just make sure you to a very good job of sealing up any orifices so that absolutely none of the abrasives get in.

West Linn, OR

More
12 Nov 2007 12:56 #180714 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine Cleaning???
Skyman, Have you ever sand or media blasted an engine? There is NO way to seal up everything where it doesn't get into the seals, bearings... stuff gets EVERYWHERE. ONLY blast an engine if you can take the parts and put them in a parts washer afterwards. I had a fella send me an engine a couple years ago and he blasted it BEFORE I disassembled it and it took me MANY HOURS of extra work trying to clean stuff before reassembly.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
12 Nov 2007 14:35 #180730 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Engine Cleaning???
wiredgeorge wrote:

Skyman, Have you ever sand or media blasted an engine?

Yes, but not an assembled engine. :)

In fact, just this past weekend, I blasted a new (to me) head for my M2. To try to keep the inside as clean as possible, I bolted on the valve cover, duct taped the emission hose ports, stuffed the valve guides with styrofoam, covered the guide openings with duct tape, and sealed the center cam well with duct tape.

I put it into the cabinet and blasted away. When finished, I removed all the tape and covers, and didn't see any grit inside. However, just to be sure, I still flushed it real good before reassembling it.

As I wrote, I would recommend disassembling the engine before blasting it. But if you don't want to do that, just be REALLY careful to seal everything up good and tight. I would think the hardest place to seal would be the exhaust ports. Unless you leave the headers on, that's going to be tough to seal.

West Linn, OR

More
16 Nov 2007 10:37 #181346 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Engine Cleaning???
Skyman,

I am going to disassemble my top end and blast the valve cover, head, and cylinders in my cabinet. I found some rubber graduating plugs at my local hardware store that will fit the exhaust ports, so I'll coat them with some silicon and press them in.

I still have a couple of questions, though. Did you use glass bead? And how would you blast the bottom end of engine? Of course, the oil pan is done in cabinet. Would you just seal up the top end opening really well and keep all engine covers on? I will have to do this outside - and I'm considering soda blasting the bottom end...