throttle grip

More
17 Oct 2007 16:30 #176759 by squints
throttle grip was created by squints
cant get the old grip apart from the throttle rocker sleave thingy. I want to save the old grips for another project, weary of just cutting plastic. Any words from the KZ gods???

clearer explanation of my problem: yellow plastic throttle sleave, part that attaches to the throttle cable, is glued to the current grips inner plastic tube. current grips are thick foam with a inner sleave, they are big and bulky, I changing to something a little less flashy.

who has a trick, would soaking it in hot water loosen things. I've been going at it with good ole WD for a while now and it hasn't moved much.

traded my classic Kz's for a 2001 Kz1200r

Upstate NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2007 16:40 #176763 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic throttle grip
Use a high pressure air hose, work the nozzle in as much as you can and blast it. Usually slides right off. Dont know if it'll work cause of the glue tho..

More
17 Oct 2007 16:46 #176766 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic throttle grip
Rubber grips are easy to get off, foam grips such as "Grab Ons" (which I like) basically do NOT come off after you glue them on with your wifes extra heavy duty hair spray! :blink:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
17 Oct 2007 19:12 #176791 by squints
Replied by squints on topic throttle grip
damn, i think its pretty much on there, plastic on plastic. Its not rubber so I doubt the air trick will work.

So, where can pick up another throttle sleave thingy. it would help if I knew what it was actually called.

Upstate NY

More
17 Oct 2007 19:19 #176794 by squints
yeah, i googled "grabons" and the style that was on there. Any ideas on how to get them off safely. If not safely, will cutting them off work ok enought to still use the throttle tube?

and I was so close....

Upstate NY

More
17 Oct 2007 20:28 #176813 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic throttle grip
I would just replace it with an original metal throttle. Check eBay. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Oct 2007 08:20 #176876 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic throttle grip
Metal throttle? Don't remember what mine is. squints, yes you can remove them. Lightly slit them with a razor and peel them off. Clean surface and install new ones.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
19 Oct 2007 20:20 #177161 by squints
sorry for the freak out, i cut them down the center with a blade and peeled the rubber off. I slipped the foam sleave back over and popped the chrome plastic end-piece on and it looks good as new. i cant do anything without getting approval from this board....thanks

Upstate NY