Powder Coating Kosman Kit?

More
17 Oct 2007 15:08 #176748 by Norseman
Powder Coating Kosman Kit? was created by Norseman
For all you folks that have undertaken powder coating your frame - in a previous thread from last spring regarding this topic, there was a suggestion to buy and install a "Kosman Kit" prior to powder coating frame. Supposedly help prevent damage to new paint somehow? I did a search of Kosman on the internet, but couldn't find anything I could relate to powder coating. Anyone know what the poster is talking about?

Also, later in the thread the topic of welding in additional frame supports. Is that advisable on the 1981 KZ1000M1 CSR? If so, I will do so as I have to have a small hole welded up anyway.

Appreciate any insight...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2007 17:01 #176769 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Powder Coating Kosman Kit?
The purpose of the kit is to reinforce the frame, the reason for installing it prior to powder coating is because it has to be welded in place. It has nothing to do with powder coating, except you really don't want to be welding on the frame "after" you just spent the $$$ to powder coat it :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/10/17 20:02

KD9JUR

More
17 Oct 2007 20:46 #176819 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Powder Coating Kosman Kit?
Thanks, Steell, I was able to expand my search based on your info and found their site. At roughly $165, is it worth while to do on a street bike? I'm assuming there would be benefits in handling? I'm by no means a "rough" rider, but I do like curves and winding roads at, well, speeds that exceed prudency:whistle:...

More
17 Oct 2007 23:24 #176835 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Powder Coating Kosman Kit?
I was going to get that kit but thought, why pay $165 for something I can make myself for $20? I went to see my ex-brother-in-law who works at a steel supplier here in town, had him slip me a 12x12 3/8 steel plate and some tubing. I slipped him $20. I then posted on another site to see if there was someone in town that has a welding set up I could use (knowing that welders NEVER let anyone use thier stuff). A guy messaged me back and said he can weld it up for me for a six pack and has a bunch of metal working machines in his shop. SWEET! B) $140 saved!

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125