Help decide please

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2007 19:57 #176209 by dreamsofaz1r
Help decide please was created by dreamsofaz1r
Hey all. Baron12 and I went to Erie PA saturday to pick up a bike, a really nice and really clean 79 LTD 1000. The bike is pretty original including original paint. I would rate the paint overall about a 7. It has LOTS of shine still, but the pinstripes are very faded, even faded away in some places, and there isa few dints/dings in the tank itself and a spiderweb splintering of the clearcoat on the tail. I know you can get the pinstripes reasonable and was wondering if we should go ahead and do a repaint? here are a few pics of the bike so you can all see how she looks.

18000 on the clock, NEW intake boots, Pirelli(sp?) tires, sprockets, and new tapered steeringhead bearings on the way also.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2007 20:05 #176211 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic Help decide please
up close of tank, right side cover, and right side of ducktail. As you can see in the circles, there are some dents, and you can see how faded the two stripes are. Is it too far gone to hang on too and needs a repaint, or do we leave it alone??

Attachments:

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2007 20:07 #176213 by dreamsofaz1r
Other side of the bike...
Attachments:

More
14 Oct 2007 20:32 #176219 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help decide please
I'd be really reluctant to repaint it because based on the pics, even with a little fading, it looks very nice. Regarding the dents which look minor, how about contacting "dentmasters" or one of the other companies that can smooth out car door dings without repainting. They should be able to un-dent it without affecting the paint at all. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Oct 2007 20:35 #176220 by Batman
Replied by Batman on topic Help decide please
Nice looking bike. . .

If you are keeping it stock, keep the original paint. Just my .02. . .

More
15 Oct 2007 00:03 #176229 by Dr Zed
Replied by Dr Zed on topic Help decide please
Looks good mate, my 2 cents, don't repaint !!! after all it is 28 years old, I guess it is up to you in the end, immaculate paint job or something that is original.

Tony
B)B)B)

More
15 Oct 2007 02:41 #176230 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Help decide please
I used to own a 1979 LTD (alas, it was disappeared in Corpus Christi, TX)...I still think about the bike...the paint wouldn't bother me near as much as the dents would...:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
15 Oct 2007 06:04 #176242 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic Help decide please
if this bike is going to be a daily rider why not paint it?
even fully restored bikes require new "original" paint somtimes,its a 79kz its not a one of a kind hand made ultra rare piece of history,jeez paint it and and enjoy/ride it!

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Oct 2007 12:59 #176272 by dreamsofaz1r
Well, the plan is to clean it up over the winter and do some minor things to it and resell it in spring. it needs some minor things and with some elbow grease and a few other things it will be a real clean mostly original bike. As you all may have seen with Tangerine Dream, and my Z1R, i am not at all against changing things to my liking, but was wondering if a buyer would be more interested in how original it is WITH paint issues OR would they rather have it "re-painted like stock"? I guess I am asking, if you were a potential buyer, what would you rather find about this bike.... Original but not perfect paint, or repainted and stripped back to factory colors?

YThanks for all the imput.

More
15 Oct 2007 14:44 #176280 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Help decide please
If I was in the market for another bike I'd be looking for one with original paint. The problems that arise with gasoline and repaint would turn me off a lot more than some fading.

More
15 Oct 2007 15:51 #176292 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help decide please
If you're going to sell it I believe you should not paint it. A person looking for an original bike will pass on a repaint, and even someone who plans to repaint would prefer original because they can see that there are no hidden defects (bondo, rust repairs, whatever) that will cause them grief. If I was in the market, I'd take original over repaint any day. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Oct 2007 17:12 #176306 by rdgrnr
Replied by rdgrnr on topic Help decide please
Since your not keeping it, keep the paint. It's like a collector car; a few dings and faded stripes don't hurt it none compared to new paint and what might be hiding underneath.(unless Chip Foose is doin' it for yaB) )

77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN