Gas Tank Noise

More
03 Oct 2007 06:25 #174329 by Little B
Gas Tank Noise was created by Little B
I went out practicing on my bike last night and after I got back noticed a hissing sound coming from around the gas cap. I opened the gas cap and and it sort of 'sucked' in a bunch of air.

I closed it up and came back out to the garage after changing out of my gear and it was making the noise again. Any ideas on what might be going on? I've never noticed the problem before but I've never run the bike very long before. It was pretty hot by the time I was done last night.

Is it possible that I got overzealous when re-sealing my gas cap and sealed the vent? If so, how can I test and subsequently fix the issue? But, if that is the case, why would it have just started?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 08:34 #174345 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Gas Tank Noise
Yes, the vent is NOT working on your cap. Don't know what you did to "reseal" your cap butit did not work. Recheck it and correct it or maybe get another one from ebay. Riding your bike like that will leave you on the side of the road until you pop the cap for the ride back home!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
03 Oct 2007 10:46 #174364 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Gas Tank Noise
Did you replace the rubber gasket? It's a common part for a lot of Kaws and cheap. Not worth fixing if that's what you tried. Try and run pipe cleaners or wires through the venting and see if it cleans it up.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
03 Oct 2007 22:05 #174475 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Gas Tank Noise
Thanks Ya'll.

I actually took the entire gas cap apart and replaced all the seals/orings I could find. I seem to remember one of them not fitting just right though...where is the vent at so I can check?

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
05 Oct 2007 08:16 #174702 by Bluemeanie
Sorry, can't help you there. My cap works fine and I've never taken one apart. Maybe someone else has? :huh:

More
05 Oct 2007 08:43 #174709 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Gas Tank Noise
Well I don't know your cap specifically. When I took mine apart to replace the gasket there were metal parts that had a groove, or hollow tubing going partway around the edge. I really can't remember, but that groove/tubing is the vent. It can get clogged with rust, dirt, whatever.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
05 Oct 2007 23:03 #174853 by Little B
Thx again guys...I guess I'll take it back apart and replace the o-ring with the original one and see what happens. If it leaks after that and I can't find a correct sized replacement, I'll just buy a new cap.

Wouldn't having a vent make your gas mileage lower? If it is evaporating out all the time that could be an issue?

Little B

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
06 Oct 2007 07:15 #174878 by Bluemeanie
The venting is not an issue at all, all cars nowadays have vented gas caps. There should be a couple of decent caps on ebay if yours is shot. Let us know...

More
08 Oct 2007 11:40 #175223 by Little B
Well, I pulled the gas cap and found that the silicone stuff I used to seal the new gaskets with had turned into a nasty gel like stuff.

I pulled them off, cleaned the parts good and replaced them with the original gaskets. While I was in there I went ahead and put the original O-ring back on where the locking mechanism seals against the venting area.

So, the next time I go for a ride I'll know if that fixed it. I hope so...not really wanting to buy a new one right now. :ohmy:

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
08 Oct 2007 13:05 #175237 by Bluemeanie
I don't believe there is a silicon made that stands up to gas or gas fumes! Stay away from the stuff when it comes to gas. Let us know if problem fixed! B)

More
10 Oct 2007 04:58 #175512 by Little B
Update after yesterday's ride:

No more gas cap issues at all! Cleaning her up and replacing the original interior gaskets and O-ring did the trick. And, it doesn't leak either! :woohoo:

Thanks for the help everyone!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD

More
10 Oct 2007 06:31 #175520 by Bluemeanie
Enjoy the ride!! ;)