Using clay on your paint

More
25 Sep 2007 13:28 #172798 by patmann
Using clay on your paint was created by patmann
This is most likely a Mark Wing question, but I opted for a open forum just in case someone else has input.
Now this is on my black 1969 GTO , but we can pretend it's a motorcycle;)
Several years ago while painting white trim on my "other building/ shop" on a windy day ( already sounds bad doesn't it? ) I had my car sitting out. Well I got white splatters, as small as a pinhead and others a little larger on one side of the car. I didn't see it until a week later and got most of it off.
Well I got the car out recently and cleaned it up and it looks like CRAP !!
I'm using Mequiars clay bar system to remove it. It does work. But I've spent two hours on just half of the front fender to remove maybe twenty or so spots.
I guess my question(s) are:
1) Should it take that long to remove it? I'm following the directions to the letter and from what I've read on the net, I'm doing it right too.

2) Is there something else out there to remove it easier/ quicker??

I'm VERY happy with the results, the paint has never looked this good or as smooth. A quick coat of Zymoil and she's better than new.
But my arm and hand hasn't moved this much and for so long since I was a young teen:whistle: :P :whistle:
At this rate I should be done with the car by 2010
:pinch:
thanks, Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2007 06:58 #172921 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic Using clay on your paint
Nobody has any input on this??:huh:

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
26 Sep 2007 07:20 #172926 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Using clay on your paint
The clay bars do take time. You can test some minerial spirts or paint reducer on an area that doesn't show to much to see if it hurts the black paint. If not wipe the paint off with one of them with a soft towel DON"T scrub that will put fine scratches in the paint. otherwise it's the clay bar and a lot of time.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
26 Sep 2007 09:26 #172940 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Using clay on your paint
I had pretty good luck using an orbital buffer, lambswool bonnet, and 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, which is actually a liquid that comes in a bottle.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
26 Sep 2007 09:53 #172947 by markerdown
Replied by markerdown on topic Using clay on your paint
I've used that clay bar system to remove the oxidation on my dodge ram. It took a lot of time and after I did the hood, I quit. I then went with the meguires system to remove oxidation, scratch/swirls, wax and polish. It was a lot easier ......................markerdown :)

Post edited by: markerdown, at: 2007/09/26 12:55

The Need for Speed Never Dies
\\\\\\\'75 Z2 750
\\\\\\\'76 KZ900
\\\\\\\'73 Z1 900 restoration project
\\\\\\\'73 Cuda 340 restoration project
2018 Z900RS

More
26 Sep 2007 14:12 #173011 by patmann
markerdown wrote:

I've used that clay bar system to remove the oxidation on my dodge ram. It took a lot of time and after I did the hood, I quit. I then went with the meguires system to remove oxidation, scratch/swirls, wax and polish. It was a lot easier ......................markerdown :)<br><br>Post edited by: markerdown, at: 2007/09/26 12:55

Do you happen to know which system you used? Was it the Mequir's Mirro Glaze Oxidation Removal Kit? For something like $32.00??
Mine's not oxidation. It's the paint spots I got on it, then left on it for several years.
I got the front fender done last night and half of the passengers door. So I'm doing better than I thought I would. I guess at this point I'll just continue on building my right arm up.
I have a bottle of the 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound at home... maybe.. that and Marks sugestion will get me done this week!!
Thank guys!!
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

• BoZ650
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
26 Sep 2007 14:22 #173014 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic Using clay on your paint
If the car has a base coat with a clear coat you could wet sand a small spot with 2000grit wet sand paper and buff it out with some compound 1st then some polish 2nd.Use only very light pressure with the sandpaper(let it do all the work!).Keep it wet.If you like the results continue with the rest of area effected.Its a shame but there is really no "easy" way.Oh yeh maybe a new parking spot!Hope that helps!Good Luck and take your time.

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

More
27 Sep 2007 06:51 #173153 by patmann
BoZ650 wrote:

If the car has a base coat with a clear coat you could wet sand a small spot with 2000grit wet sand paper and buff it out with some compound 1st then some polish 2nd.Use only very light pressure with the sandpaper(let it do all the work!).Keep it wet.If you like the results continue with the rest of area effected.Its a shame but there is really no "easy" way.Oh yeh maybe a new parking spot!Hope that helps!Good Luck and take your time.

No clear coat on this girl;) She's ALL original. That Starlight black the General put on Feb. 28 ( Friday ) on the night shift in Arlington Texas ( if I remember right, I'd have to check her build sheet again it's been years since I had her out ) looks FANTASTIC for a old gal. After all my moaning and groaning about all the work.. I kinda' like doing it. The wife leaves me alone :) And the boys come out and sit and talk to me, asking questions about the car. PLUS it REALLY REALLY makes a diference in the 38 almost 39 year old paint.
Now to figure out how to fill those tiny little door chips and sand them as smooth as the paint is now.
Pat

1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike

More
27 Sep 2007 12:25 #173200 by markerdown
Replied by markerdown on topic Using clay on your paint
The Maguire’s stuff I used came in 3 bottles labeled 1, 2, and 3. One was a cleaner the others were a wax and a polish. I bought another brand for scratch and swirl remover. It didn't see a kit so I bought them all separately. Applied them all by hand then used a buffer...no wax on...wax off forearm like a freakin eggplant for me. It worked really well. Smoo-ooth as glass and a nice shine. The buffing rag wouldn't even stay on the hood. It would just slide off. The neighbor’s cat found out the hard way to stay off my truck. I watched the little rat jump up and fall right off :lol: Life is good! markerdown

The Need for Speed Never Dies
\\\\\\\'75 Z2 750
\\\\\\\'76 KZ900
\\\\\\\'73 Z1 900 restoration project
\\\\\\\'73 Cuda 340 restoration project
2018 Z900RS