Gas proof clear coat for tank

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Sep 2007 09:23 #168949 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Gas proof clear coat for tank was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
Just got round to fitting my repainted fenderless tail and tank. Tail looks right sharp. Used rattlecan clear on both but a small splash of gas has marked the clear on the tank.

Will have to re-clear tank but want to use something that is possitively GAS PROOF.

I do have a compressor and somewhat basic spray gun also. Never actually used it but could break it open and give it a go using the "proper" stuff if that's what it's going to take.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2007 09:50 #168956 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
I have never seen any repaint that is gas-proof, whether it color paint or clearcoat. That's part of the reason I'm so dead against repaints. Not trying to work up anyone again, just the facts as I've seen them anyway in my observations. Like I said before, after repaint get the popular backpack aux gas supply with quick connect lines and hook them up. Never put gas near a repainted tank.:P Like I said just me, and you guys do what you like with best of luck always.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Sep 2007 09:54 #168958 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
Check the first post in this thread Barney, tinyurl.com/2ddh4t

But I bet it's better to sneak into Rons place and swipe one of his original tanks when he's not looking. :lol:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• BoZ650
  • User
  • 77 KZ650 with 4 to1 and pods,Dyna Coil and Dyna S
More
06 Sep 2007 10:00 #168961 by BoZ650
Replied by BoZ650 on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
House of Kolor make a clear coat that is resistant to gas.It is part of a system which includes the basecoat.Idont know that i would try to use just the clearcoat from House of Kolor on top of the clearcoat you used.You may end up with a chemical reaction!Try thier web site maybe they will suggest a product for you!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

• BoZ650
  • User
More
06 Sep 2007 10:04 #168963 by BoZ650
House of Kolor make a clear coat that is resistant to gas.It is part of a system which includes the basecoat.Idont know that i would try to use just the clearcoat from House of Kolor on top of the clearcoat you used.You may end up with a chemical reaction!Try thier web site maybe they will suggest a product for you!

77 KZ650 With 4 into 1 header,Air pods,Dyna Green coils,Dyna S Ignition and WiredGeorge coil mod!

• BoZ650
  • User
More
06 Sep 2007 10:05 #168965 by BoZ650

More
06 Sep 2007 16:14 #169048 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
I think that acrylic urethane is the most durable, gas resistant paint. Don't know if you can use urethane clear coat over just any paint. Like BoZ650 says, different types of clear may react badly with different types of color. Consult your local paint store expert.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
06 Sep 2007 17:16 #169052 by Philip Meaney
Replied by Philip Meaney on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
Don't know that much about paint, but the "Armor Coat" rattle can enamel($3.29 per can)black and red that I put on the tank of my 750 turbo went on "slicker than whalesh*t" and hasn't been affected by all the gas I spilled on it in the past month of driving. Maybe time will tell, but perhaps clear coat isn't the way to go. I've had 2 of the GPz with clear coat peeling off the tank.

80 750 H1
85 750 Turbo
84 GPz 750

More
06 Sep 2007 17:32 #169054 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
Rattlecan will always get screwed up when gas or carb cleaner or anything caustic touches it. It doesn't have hardener in it.

If you shoot over that spot with a paint gun it is still going to look like a messed up spot with clear over it. Your going to have to reprep the tank for it. I am no painter, but a good buddy is and I heard this lecture a ton of times ... "Painting is an art and unless you have the right tools, paint, supplies, knowledge, practice, patience, prep work, weather conditions (if u don't have a booth), etc. it will never come out right."

He has shamed me into never painting again!! I have tried to rattle can stuff a bunch of times and it never holds a candle to the real deal.

House of Kolor does make good paint. They can be a tad expensive if you go top of line with them, but real nice stuff. I used thier stuff a few times on cars and was always happy.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
06 Sep 2007 18:12 #169065 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
REAL clear holds up much better than rattle can clear, however you must still be careful, i'd never paint a bike in rattlecan, no matter what you do gas will always get to it, i have a thick towel with a hole in it that i place over my gas tank to protect it, however a drop did get on the clear once and i did'nt notice it untill later, it left a mark, luckly i was able to hand buff it out.

my hok polyurethane clear is more of a light duty deep gloss clear versus a acrilic, mine resist gas fairly well, i can just wipe it off right away, however sitting is not recommended.

i used a heavy duty acrilic clear on my first paint job and it was hella tough, untill the gastank slid down the rolled up tarp it was sitting on and gas came out the filler hole and got under the edge of the clear:blush:

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
08 Sep 2007 06:23 #169340 by HENRYJ
Replied by HENRYJ on topic Gas proof clear coat for tank
I have never had a problem with gas spillage........steel wool and turtlewax is all I use!

Post edited by: HENRYJ, at: 2007/09/08 09:24
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2007 07:03 - 03 Dec 2008 09:40 #169348 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 09:40 by JMKZHI.