Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Removing gasoline \"etch\" from out side of tank 06 Jan 2006 21:58 #16472

• ZN700LTD
  • ZN700LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm sure this has been covered but I don't seem to be having any luck when I do a search.

The gas tank on my '85 has quite a bit of discoloration and streaking from spilled gasoline. I'm looking for suggestions on good ways to remove this- at some point I'll probably have it professionally refinished, but right now, I 'm just trying to get it running and want to keep the tank from getting worse.

Thanks,
ZN700Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removing gasoline \"etch\" from out side of tank 07 Jan 2006 07:26 #16499

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
you could wet sand it and spray it with a couple of coats of urethane clear. it wont remove the discoloration but it will protect what you still have left.

mine is pretty bad too and as soon as i get the leaks out and get my new petcock im going to rattle-can it untill i get all my "pro" paint to do the whole bike.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Removing gasoline \"etch\" from out side of tank 10 Jan 2006 17:08 #17146

• gabriel
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the same thing though my tank has chiped paint as well and it needs some serious paint job. I did manage to remove the gas trails but it's very easy to damage the paint. Wet sand it with 1500 grit and then use rubbing compound (I used 3M rubbing compound) to get it all shiny again.

Gabriel

----
84 ZN700

Removing gasoline \"etch\" from out side of tank 12 Jan 2006 15:28 #17541

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Some waxes are very high in Carbondum (?). These types are more abrasive. Waxes actually get paint shiny by abrading a small top layer off as well as filing in imperfections. So you might try polishing the living hell out of it.

• Page: