Gel Coat repair

More
31 Jul 2007 23:17 #161053 by Ozzyzed
Gel Coat repair was created by Ozzyzed
Noticed that the Gel coat on the tail and side covers has lifted- Any advice in repairing this so it wont show through paint work-
Any advice much appreciated:(

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 23:38 #161054 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Gel Coat repair
The side covers and tail are made of plastic, no gel-coat. A pic of what your talking about would help. Your going to at least sand it smooth, if you go all the way to the plastic you should yes a adhesion promoter before priming and painting.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
01 Aug 2007 14:55 #161197 by Ozzyzed
Replied by Ozzyzed on topic Gel Coat repair
Hi fella's pic will have to wait but the tail piece appears to be two layers one of which i have been a little enthusiastic when sanding (can now see the second layer).Being from Oz i am not aware of a product called an adhesive promotor? What does this do and how does it work?
Cheers

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1
'They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes'!

More
01 Aug 2007 17:30 #161209 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Gel Coat repair
Hello Oz. I believe Mark was trying to say that the side covers and tail section are made of plastic. Usually ABS. Gel coat is a process for fiberglass pieces. It is a hardened outer coating over the fiber strands. It's actually sprayed first in a mold before the resin and matt cloth is applied. Adhesion promoter is a product designed to be sprayed over new or opened(sanded) plastic to promote adhesion for top coats (paint). If your pieces are plastic and are showing layers..it's probably either to many coats of existing paint or someone has applied a chemical striper. Never use a chemical striper on plastic or fiber glass parts. Elbow grease is the safest way to prep them. Chemical strippers can soften or swell plastic and fiberglass to where it is ruined. There are some products made that can repair uneven, scratched and broken plastic pieces.As mentioned....pics would help.

More
01 Aug 2007 22:57 #161264 by Ozzyzed
Replied by Ozzyzed on topic Gel Coat repair
Thanks mate, sorry forgot to log off but am back online (at work!!!). Will try and get some pics, thanks for the info, may need a better look but remember that it has lifted in a few spots. But as you stated someone may have in the past used a chemical stripper (S#@%T!!)
Cheers and will get some pics when i can.
Cheers Oz

Melbourne Australia
1977 z1000A1

More
04 Aug 2007 02:19 #161672 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Gel Coat repair
Fiberglass Evercoat has several products that work real good on plastics, the polyester glazing putty in the dark blue can doesen't shrink if you let it dry over night(two part bondo type product) and they have an excellent fiberglass filler that I have used on plastic and fiberglass to repair gouges