Engine painting specifics

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
31 Jul 2007 12:12 #160920 by Qdude
Engine painting specifics was created by Qdude
Had an offer to get my tank professionally painted for material and pizza & beer. I'm takin it, so the bike will be down for a small while. (scooter city sweetheart :angry: ) So I might as well paint the engine.

Upon reading some threads on engine painting I still have questions.

* Is pulling the engine a reasonably easy project (capability; I have swapped out old 60's chevy small blocks by myself)? And, how feasible is painting while still mounted, (If you can get her to agree to ;) ) the engine that is.

* I have seen some machined port covers in some of the pics, I would just tamp in wadded up newspaper then masking tape over the port and clean up the edges with an exacto knife. Acceptable?

* Valve covers, side covers? On or off for painting? Are there any extra recommended steps incurred with removal? (ie remove cams, drain engine oil, etc. )

* Valve covers leaked oil. So what is the best way to prep those cooling fins for paint, and or to clean the whole engine for paint.

* How do I keep myself from going over the edge and painting the frame as well? Or is this not as involved as I am making it out to be so I should consider doing it.

* Is it a bad idea to paint the dark area of the aluminum wheels?

It is a dirty daily driver and I would hate to spend so much time on paint for something that is going to get worked. I can keep the engine and tank clean. But the frame and the wheels get really dirty with chain lube and rain road grime and such. Opinions and counsel on this please.

I have done the total rewire to the damn thing, and am not afraid of a little wrench work. I just don't have the time to get uber involved with a giant project right now (frame painting), but a medium to reasonable sized project would be fine.

Will someone, who has been in my situation before, enlighten me please.

Post edited by: Qdude, at: 2007/07/31 15:18

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2007 15:10 #160951 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Engine painting specifics
Pull off the carbs, boots and exhaust. I used newspaper to cover the frame. I also took off all the covers and taped off the open areas. Spray away. I did mine 3 years ago and it still looks good. I powder coated my covers but I still would have taken them off for paint so it would look better. People might not notice if I didn't take then off but I would.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• Qdude
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It is all good.
More
01 Aug 2007 08:29 #161129 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic Engine painting specifics
What does "powder coat" refer to?

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
05 Aug 2007 19:48 #161957 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Engine painting specifics
Powder coating is just another form of painting. It leaves a very tough durable finish on the metal part, you can even powder a clear coat on if you wish. I have my own powder setup in my basement, I use a kiln for larger pieces. This is a swing arm in gloss black.

More
06 Aug 2007 15:32 #162103 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Engine painting specifics
When you paint your engine make sure its clean if there are any oil spots the paint will lift.after i clean everything i clean it again then spray it down with Ether(starting fluid) or brake kleen then blow it dry with air hose.