SR vs Regular side cover

More
27 Jul 2007 11:40 #160081 by jul3z
SR vs Regular side cover was created by jul3z
i was just lookin at 411 parts for a left side cover for my bike cause it flew off while riding :angry: and they have some, but they say it won't work on the SR model, which is what i have. Could anyone please explain the difference between the side covers on the SR and on the regular bikes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2007 12:21 #160096 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic SR vs Regular side cover
The shape is different, as may be the mounting points.

sr
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2276

standard

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=2276

The Gringo talked about the differences in another post, but I am unable to find it at the moment....

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
27 Jul 2007 13:39 #160119 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic SR vs Regular side cover
The shape is different but the mounting is the same. I ran a red SR left sidecover on a 1977 KZ650b and it fit fine. Whether the right would fit I can't say.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
29 Jul 2007 19:36 #160624 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic SR vs Regular side cover
RonKZ650 wrote:

The shape is different but the mounting is the same. I ran a red SR left sidecover on a 1977 KZ650b and it fit fine. Whether the right would fit I can't say.

You mistakenly have the left and right cover fitment mixed up.
I just went out and swapped covers from the Wardens project '78 KZ650D to my '78 KZ650B.
And although they looked kind of goofy on there compared to what I'm used to seeing, all three of the mounting tabs for the right cover line up perfectly with the frame mounting points.
The left cover however is a diff story - both upper mounting tabs/frame mount points line up fine, but the bottom mounting tab on the cover sits roughly 1" lower than the mounting point on the frame.
Having just the upper two mounting tabs mounted into the frame would hold it somewhat secure as a quick-fix to keep all the electrical goodies concealed and protected, but obtaining the proper cover that utilizes all three cover tabs/frame mounting points would obviously be more beneficial. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
29 Jul 2007 19:53 #160627 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic SR vs Regular side cover
Here is the link to what I was talking about. There are some pics I hope this helps. I thought I had this all figured out but I'm still getting different info.:unsure: :unsure:
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/catid,6/id,152826/

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/07/29 22:53

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
29 Jul 2007 20:35 #160635 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic SR vs Regular side cover
I think I see what's possible causing the confussion.
I see what you're talking about concerning the notch on the B and C covers depending on year of bike, but what I'm refering to is the diff in the actual mounting points on the frame that the cover is secured to between the B/C and D models.

It's to late tonight, but after I get home from work tomorrow I'll snap some pics showing the differences in the covers.

BTW, the original right cover on my '78 B model has the notch like the one you provided a pic of in that other thread, so I'm pretty certain that '79 wasn't the first year that Kawi changed the design to include it.
So since the notched and un-notched covers have the same imprinted part# on the backside, maybe Kawi changed the design somewhere along the way and figured it would be easier to NOT change the part# and just mount either style to the B models, depending on whichever was in larger supply at the time each bike rolled off the assembly line?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
31 Jul 2007 19:31 #161006 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic SR vs Regular side cover
All my 650Bs are notched as I just mentioned in the other thread. Also you are right about the mounting points being different on the SR on the left cover. The bottom mount is lower on the SR than a KZ650B so they don't interchange. The right side SR cover although different shape than a KZ650B or C will fit either as I just tried to be sure of no more bad info :)
My mistake was I did run a left side SR cover on a KZ650B, but the lower mounting point was broken off the SR cover so I just assumed wrongly the lower point, had it been there, would have been placed the same position, but it is not.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.