WoW .. paint sure is expensive

More
14 Jul 2007 23:33 #156894 by brich
WoW .. paint sure is expensive was created by brich
SO I am finally getting around to paint my bike and holy cr@p is paint expensive!!!

I got a buddy painting it for me and he tells me to get the paint and supplies and he will shoot it for free. So i hit up the local auto paint store and I tell him, don't go cheap I want the good stuff.

Between adhesion promoter for the new plastic, self-etching primer for the tank and fender i took down to metal, filler primer, black paint, clear coat and all the reducers and stuff it came out to $475!!

Luckily he had cheaper paint but in the end I still spent $275. I have a new respect for paint costs after talking to the guy for 30 minutes and him expalining the differences paint.

Note to self .. don't buy new plastic ever again and dont strip tank and fender to bare metal!! Probably would have saved $100 :P

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2007 15:46 #156996 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic WoW .. paint sure is expensive
I do the cheapest way there is on repaint. Don't. Can't get cheaper than that, plus it looks better.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Jul 2007 16:50 #156999 by brich
Replied by brich on topic WoW .. paint sure is expensive
lol .. i ain't buying it!! I just looked at your gallery and some of those bikes look freshly painted!! :laugh:

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
15 Jul 2007 18:27 #157013 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic WoW .. paint sure is expensive
well, brich, trust me,,, I've followed ron's posts for several years here,,, they are all original.
Ride safe

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
15 Jul 2007 18:58 #157019 by brich
Replied by brich on topic WoW .. paint sure is expensive
Then I definitely applaud his maintence. I hope to keep mine as nice over time. My starting point wasn't as good condition unfortunatly ... plus I been dreaming of building a low slick black and chrome z1 for some time.

Now I just get to wait forever (as you can't yell at your friends doing you favors to do them quickly) and hope it come out good, I know black shows all imperfections.