Is a wire wheel a good idea for rust removal on a bike?

• storysunfolding
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jan 2006 07:12 #15496 by storysunfolding
I've been using my wire wheel to clean up some screws and bolts on the bike. Works wonders there but I'm wondering if there's any part of the bike that I shouldn't use it on to remove surface rust. It seems alot easier for example to run the handlebars over the wire wheel then buff them on the buffing wheels. I think it might hurt the finish on the exhaust but are there any places where this would be a bad idea?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2006 07:44 #15501 by steell
It's a bad idea to use a wire wheel on paint, chrome, or aluminum surfaces, unless you are trying to remove the paint, scratch up the chrome to paint it, or want to really scratch up the aluminum for some reason.

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
01 Jan 2006 07:46 #15503 by wireman
i hope youre using a very fine wire wheel,on small parts like bolt heads it might not be so noticable but if you start using it on bigger parts i think you will probably notice a lot of scratches,try some acetone to remove the surface rust you can buy it in cans at the hardware store rub it on with a soft rag then try some tripoli or jeweler rouge with a buffing wheel to shine it up but dont buff too long in one spot or youll burn through the chrome.make sure to wax all your parts really good when youre done to keep rust from coming back!goodluck,hppy wrenching!

More
02 Jan 2006 14:17 #15685 by CruisingRam
I have found the roto zip rebel attachment with the scotchpad attachment is the best thing in the world for removing paint without removing metal- and it is super fast!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
03 Jan 2006 07:17 #15802 by wiredgeorge
Even a fine wire wheel puts fine scratches in chrome that can't be buffed out. Only use a wire wheel when the chrome is rusted and pitted. Once you have removed the rust, you can probably spray the area with galvanzing paint and then a top coat of silver but the best thing to do with rusted chrome is take the part to a chrome shop for stripping and rechroming or strip and powdercoat.

As far as wire brushing bolt heads to remove rust... WASTE OF TIME... once they start rusting, they will just rust again in no time. Replace with stainless or zinc plated (less expensive than stainless) fasteners. Dont bother use the dark colored bolts you find in an autoparts store unless you paint them immediately after install as those things rust in HOURS after install.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
02 Sep 2006 19:21 #74163 by pumps
Bringing up an old thread here. I've been looking at some bikes here locally out of the paper and online classifieds and some have a fair amount of rust.Did I mention that I think I may need a KZ 12 step program? LOL but I'm having fun. I'm not willing to pay much as I don't think they're worth it but if eventually I'm going to find one and rust removal I am sure will be paramount. I've read several good threads on this topic. Anyone have any other tips?

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2006 19:28 #74167 by wireman
i showed skipper76 that you can polish chrome with ketchup today,he thought i was full of it till it actually worked!:evil: :P

More
02 Sep 2006 19:33 #74169 by neilage66
Use a brass wheel...not steel.
They don't scratch paint, chrome, plating or blueing as readily as steel...mucho milder, but still cleans well.

More
02 Sep 2006 21:10 - 03 Dec 2008 12:41 #74193 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 12:41 by JMKZHI.

More
06 Sep 2006 09:15 #74840 by Rickman
you can also use aluminum foil as if it were sandpaper. Shiny side up, I read. I de-rusted and polished my old shocks and springs pretty good with wd40 and aluminum foil. wd40 and steel wool for the aluminum parts. as for the rusty bolts, the best thing to clean them up is definately new bolts.

I just read about that brass wool earlier today; googled it and got a schwinn resto website. can't wait to find some.

Mother's has this expensive wadding in a can that is said to work real damn good, too.

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
06 Sep 2006 10:33 - 03 Dec 2008 17:19 #74855 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 17:19 by JMKZHI.

More
13 Sep 2006 17:35 #76556 by JoeK
Do Not use Steel Wool on Aluminum I have been told this by two respected people who are more familiar with metals, than I. I have also read it on the internet (so it MUST be true)

I have been told that Steel Wool will embed small particles of steel into the aluminum, and you may have future corrosion problems with the dissimilar metals.

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA