Removing rear fender

More
23 Jun 2007 07:59 #152050 by vach
Removing rear fender was created by vach
I see some of you guy's have removed your rear fenders.. I was wondering if anyone has pics or something.. I'm going to remove mine but wasn't quite sure on what to do yet.. Did you cut the fender half way or just completely remove it? The plastic fender only goes so far under the seat.. What did you cover the hole where the metal fender was? I want to tuck the tailight under the fender also.. Any ideas on mounting brackets? Thanks guys. Here is a pic of the bike with the metal fender I want to remove..

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2007 12:20 #152097 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Removing rear fender
Hey Vach - I did this mod a couple of times over the past couple of years on my '77 650. The look is very clean and tidy with the fender removed. The plastic inner fender is still intact.

My first attempt was with one inch wide, 1/2 inch thick galvanised strapping but it didn't turn out to be strong enough. I ended up going with a stainless steel plate bracket on the next attempt and I used 16 guage. This lasted for one season but this spring I hit a sunken manhole cover and the bracket bounced enough to hit the tire and fold underneath itself. Luckily I was only going about 30 mph.

I just installed a thicker piece of stainless plate, 3 mm in thickness and this should be the ticket. It is very strong and doesn't have any lateral movement when I hit a bump.

I drilled the two holes to mount up through the tailpiece mounts to the back of the frame, drilled a large hole to fit the taillight electrical connection through, drilled to small holes to attach the taillight body to the plate and finally had four holes drilled for the licence plate.

The piece of plate that I started with was 14 inches long and 7.25 inches wide. I had it cut and bent at a machine shop that has a hydraulic bender that can do clean 90 and 45 degree bends. Trying to do these clean bends without a proper press is pretty tough.

If you need any more info just send me a U2U. Here is a pic of the installation.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2007 12:43 #152111 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Removing rear fender
I cut a steel plate to bolt to the tail mounting holes and used some small tubing to space the light out to end of the tail. My light fit up a little tighter than reborn's dose.
Mark

Post edited by: Mark Wing, at: 2007/06/23 15:46

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2007 12:51 #152113 by Mark Wing
For the plate I just used a pair of steel straps to put the plate right under the light like reborn's. I had tow sets of holes to mount the plate sometimes high so you could hardly see it.
Mark

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
23 Jun 2007 12:59 #152115 by Mark Wing
I don't have a good pic of it from the back. As far as the missing coverage it dose not get wet enough around here to worry about it, you could put a small piece of plastic under there.
Mark

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
23 Jun 2007 13:05 #152118 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Removing rear fender
Actually Mark this pic was taken before I did the final fitting. It is up a little tighter to the tailpiece now.

I am going to mount a little piece of sponge under the tailpiece to absorb any contact if the bracket bounces a little due to our rough roads.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
23 Jun 2007 14:18 #152133 by vach
Replied by vach on topic Removing rear fender
Very cool guy's thanks for the pics and info.. I've never seen how they were mounted, so this helps a lot.. Sweet, thanks agian....

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
23 Jun 2007 15:15 #152143 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Removing rear fender
This is how I did mine:
I used two pieces of Aluminum that were approx. 5" X 1 1/4" and bent them into a Z shape. One end of each Z bracket is bolted to the rear cowl mounts, and the tail light is mounted to the other ends of the Z brackets. You can adjust how far in the light sits under the rear cowl, by where you make your bends.

I then made a license plate mount coming off the two tail light bolts, out of a metal plate.

I used a piece of plastic, which I found in a Telephone booth at the time,

:whistle: covering the phone book, to make a partial rear fender.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2007/06/23 18:25

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
24 Jun 2007 14:43 #152367 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Removing rear fender
I cut my rear fender so it will still bolt up and give a little mud protection. Not that I need it now. :P

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
25 Jun 2007 09:52 #152563 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Removing rear fender
Maybe I'm feeling backwards. I've always wanted to get rid of the plastic tail and accentuate the fender. Unfortunately, my seat is not long enough and I just end up looking "unfinished".

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.