Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?

More
22 Jun 2007 13:26 #151816 by Nelson
Bolts cause new paint to chip off!? was created by Nelson
Just painted my fork legs and then bolted on calipers. the lock washer ripped a ton of paint off the fork legs....!!!!

I'm not surprised, and I'm sure a flat washer would be better. but i've seen this problem in other places with or without flat washers.

How do you guys deal with this? I'm getting the same issue with various brackets, triple clamps, etc.

Been using Duplicolor engine paint or automotive - both spray cans.

I have a pro gun and have used pro paint in the past, but what a hassle for a few small parts here and there.... any tips?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2007 21:29 #152458 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?
I know someone has the answer to this... who are you? Please let me know. thanks!!

Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
24 Jun 2007 22:28 #152470 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?
The only thing I can say is try some etching primer in a spray can at an automotive paint store. After sanding it smooth spray the etching primer on the bare metal then paint them again and keep the paint as thin as possible. Let it dry real good use a flat washer and it still may chip, good luck. I know it can piss you off.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
25 Jun 2007 04:33 #152499 by roboto65
Replied by roboto65 on topic Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?
I would try a thin flat washer then the lockwasher that would give the lockwasher something to bite instead of your paint !!:(

More
25 Jun 2007 10:13 #152569 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?
I use a lot of stainless steel washers and lockwashers whereever possible to keep things looking pristene and rust-free. Especially where a lockwasher or bolthead would otherwise dig into a softer underlying part or paint. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 Jun 2007 15:32 #152638 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Bolts cause new paint to chip off!?
stainless sounds good, thanks. I have noticed that thicker paint chips easier also. I think i did use the etching primer on my fork legs, but oh well...