Polishing in between Clear coats?

More
21 Jun 2007 07:20 #151446 by Jornum1
Polishing in between Clear coats? was created by Jornum1
I am in the process of clearing my gas tank. I have been following the sticky post on the top of this section.
I have put down 4 coats of clear, I wet sanded up to 2000g. Now do I polish and wax before I put more clear on?
Thanks,
Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2007 07:52 #151457 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
no,wax/polish will contaminate surface;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Jun 2007 08:09 #151461 by Jornum1
Replied by Jornum1 on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
hmm ok, thats what I thought, the post was confusing.
So is it common to have a hazy/dull surface after sanding clear?

More
21 Jun 2007 08:20 #151466 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
yep sanding knocks down the major high spots and dulls the finish wet sanding/polishing final clearcoat will bring it back;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
21 Jun 2007 09:26 #151480 by Jornum1
Replied by Jornum1 on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
ahh yes, sorry I am such a Noob. I am getting the hang of this though. I just read this article before I saw your reply.
www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/50899/
It was very informative. Its hard sometimes trying to learn to do something by reading, and not by example. But thats why this is my practice tank with rattle cans. Next one will be the real deal. I made a few mistakes on this one already, I will know better next time.
Thanks for your insight,
Jay

More
21 Jun 2007 09:37 #151482 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
Yeah..The hazy is okay (although it shouldn't *feel* rough, bumpy, scratchy, slimy, gooey, rubbery, happy, sad.....). You'll really help prevent a lot of orange peel this way. Just don't sand too much. You don't want to remove the coats you just put on.

When you're done with your last wet coat, I prefer to not sand but rather give it a couple of days to cure, then use a paste rubbing compound (not a polishing compound and not from a bottle but that's preference and it's worked well for me in the paste. hahaha, the paste....eh...yeah)

Post edited by: Virii, at: 2007/06/21 12:39

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

More
21 Jun 2007 10:12 #151487 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
Clear always has a bit of an orange peel texture before sanding and buffing. Just sand until the surface is smooth, it will look milky but once to start the buffing and polishing it will be perfect and shiny in no time at all.
Watch the speed of the buffing wheel, it is fairly easy to burn the clear if the RPMs are too high. It can also be very messy, some of the finishing compounds are watery and the buffing wheel can really toss the stuff around. The first paste you will use is called "first cut" this stuff is kind like toothpaste and will remove the major scratches caused by the wet sanding.

More
01 Jul 2007 17:49 #154098 by oongow
Replied by oongow on topic Polishing in between Clear coats?
I would suggest not putting any wax on for 30 days or so to let the the paint completely cure. Also, when you are wet sanding, try to use a block. You may want to wipe with a wax/grease remover before spraying to keep anything from on your hands from coming up later.