Curing time between primer and base coat?

More
06 Jun 2007 11:48 #146898 by Jornum1
I am using a rattle cans to paint my frame.
My question is the time needed between priming and base coat. How long do I nee to wait?

I am using duplicolor SUV paint. It says it dries to the touch in 3 hours I believe, and cured in 1 week.
Do I need to wait a week for the primer to cure before I shoot the base coat?
I am not looking for a long term job, just to spruce it up so its not so embarassing riding it this season.

Any insight? I have read all the various threads about painting, but havent seen anything about this particular topic unless I overlooked it.

Also what about ceramic engine paint? I will be doing my engine at some point also, are ceramics the same?

Thanks,
Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2007 12:14 #146902 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
Definitely not an expert, but I remember a thread wherein PT was doin' some 'splainin' about just this subject. He said, in short, the longer you let the paint set between coats, the better it will hold up. I'd think the 3hrs. you mentioned wouldn't be long enough, but if you're just hoping to get the rest of the riding season out of the paintjob, overnight should do the trick.

More
06 Jun 2007 13:07 #146921 by Jornum1
Replied by Jornum1 on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
yeah I know people have said a week from base to clear. I think I know the thread you are speaking of. I searched and read a ton of posts about painting. I didnt know if the same applied for primer to base.
I will probably shoot it tonight with primer, let it sit overnight, and let it bake in the sun all day tomorrow too. Its supposed to be sunny and upper 80's. I will see how it looks then.
Is there any way to tell how "cured" paint is? I guess how hard it is? I read somewhere about if you could indent it with your findernail or something like that.
I dont know if I am thinking of the right thing.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
06 Jun 2007 13:16 #146924 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
Jornum1 wrote:

Is there any way to tell how "cured" paint is?

If it stops coughing, it's cured. :whistle: :lol:

West Linn, OR

More
06 Jun 2007 13:58 #146932 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
Again, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the longer the better.
Hmmm...maybe that's why I'm always seeing folks around my way driving around cars with only primer on them...gotta let it cure good!:laugh: :laugh:

Lettin' it sit in the sun for a day should do the trick. Like you said, it's just gotta get you through the summer. Just be careful with the fillups!

More
06 Jun 2007 23:16 #147073 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
I know there is a time during which you can't put on a new layer. Instructions will say something like "re-coat within one hour or after 24 hours". In between will cause it to wrinkle or peel.

More
12 Jun 2007 04:46 #148604 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
I have painted a few bikes, mostly HOK paints and clears. I always try to wait 24 hours between primer and base but I have also shot the base after just 20 minutes of primer dry time. For base coat and clear I only wait until the base has set maybe 15 minutes and then the clear goes on.......the clear coats (4 or 5) I wait just long enough for the previous coat to set maybe 15 minutes. Then wet sanding 24 hours later, if you wait too long the clear is like cement and makes the buffing task a whole lot harder to do

More
17 Jun 2007 18:24 #150273 by agawam
Replied by agawam on topic Curing time between primer and base coat?
It would depend on bodywork, if you have done filling or rough sanding or put a ton of primer on or are painting over original sanded finish, wait, if you have a nice thin coat of primer on good metal go ahead and shoot it when dry, it also depends on type of primer