Do I want PJ1 clear lacquer or Clear epoxy?

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
29 May 2007 23:41 #144771 by loudhvx
For a gas tank what holds up best against gasoline? epoxy or lacquer? It's going on PJ1 Kawasaki green. Is that green lacquer or epoxy? What about the white primer?

I once used lacquer clear and gasoline fogged it slightly, so is the epoxy better? What about sun fading or yellowing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2007 05:19 #144803 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Do I want PJ1 clear lacquer or Clear epoxy?
Hi Loud, here is a link to a post I made last month about how things turned out when I used the PJ1 clear epoxy, recommended by PT. (I hope that's not a bad name around here.) It's been more than a month since I did it and it appears to be holding up, well. I have spilt gas on it, but cleaned it up quickly and haven't had a problem w/"fogging". She hasn't really sat out in the sun, I'm keeping her garaged right now, so I can't speak to that. I probably should sand again and put a couple more coats, but that's for later.
kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/catid,6/id,133418/
Sorry I can't seem to figure out the tiny url thing.
Just my $0.02

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
30 May 2007 09:23 #144867 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Do I want PJ1 clear lacquer or Clear epoxy?
Thanks Ron, yeah I've read that thread which is why I'm looking for PJ1. That tank looks sweet. The color coat was not PJ1 correct? And you had some time between the color and clear, about how much?

If I spray the epoxy on top of lacquer, do I have to wait a few days or will the epoxy be compatible with lacquer color coat so I can do it all at once?

Did PT specifically say the epoxy would be better than the PJ1 lacquer?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/05/30 12:25

More
30 May 2007 11:37 #144909 by ronjones
The color coat was not PJ1, I can't think of the brand right now but I got it at Advance Auto. I cannot emphasize how important it is to let ALL coats dry at least 7 days before doing another. At the time I was doing it I was glad that the weather was really forcing me to wait between coats because I just know I would have tried to add coats before it had a chance to fully cure and ended up w/a really crap job.
The clear PJ1 epoxy was specifically recommended by PT in an earlier thread. Letting the previous coats dry 7+ days is very important, apparantly the longer the better to allow the coats to not only dry but shrink, also. From my thread you also must have guessed that sanding, previous coats, is also an important key. From my previous attemts to paint.
Good Luck

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• loudhvx
  • Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
More
30 May 2007 11:59 #144917 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Do I want PJ1 clear lacquer or Clear epoxy?
darn, trying to get it done in less than two weeks.

Thanks for the info Ron :)

More
30 May 2007 12:42 #144931 by ronjones
loudhvx wrote:

darn, trying to get it done in less than two weeks.

Thanks for the info Ron :)

Color and clear in 2 wks? Well maybe you could do the color, wait a week, then do as many clear coats you can w/in the 1hr time limit for coats. Sand, compound and wax, then wait and ride until you can do it up right. I believe that PT did mention that you could speed up the curing by baking @ 200 degrees for 20 min, but I didn't do it so I ain't gonna recomend it, especially if you are married;). Remember sanding smooth between coats is very important for a smooth finish. I used 400, then 800, then 1000 then compound for the clear and 400/800 for the color.
BTW: thanks for the compliment:) I'm quite proud of it:).
Ron