Gas tank Cleaning?

More
14 Oct 2005 08:41 #1684 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
WG! I went to the POR-15 site and nothing leapt out at me as being a Kreem remover. What is the name of the product?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2005 17:03 #1793 by sven
Replied by sven on topic por 15 site
go tp the gas tank sealing section and read...

More
16 Oct 2005 10:36 #2071 by Z Parts
Replied by Z Parts on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
I work at a Radiator Shop and the only way we get the sealer out is to take it to a Company that burns it out. The only way to make sure it is all gone if it is not the new sealer will not stick. Do not try this at Home take it to someone that deals with this everyday. The sealer is toxic if burned.

More
16 Oct 2005 11:53 #2090 by Bud1
Replied by Bud1 on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
In the Air Force we used to use MEK (Methyl Ethol Ketone) for everything almost. No gloves, no goggles, no nothing. Used to wash our hands with the stuff. Then they came down and said it was a carcinogen and very, very bad for you. And now you don't see MEK anywhere in the Air Force except for very specific applications. The stuff that replaced it is virtually useless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the stuff is bad. It's just that out of all the crew chiefs I know who used to handle the stuff all the time up to their elbows (literally) none have come down with cancer or anything alse linked to MEK. Maybe it will catch up when they get much older but sometimes I think the powers that be over react by a factor of ten.:huh:

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
18 Oct 2005 18:37 #2672 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
Hey Bud,

" I think the powers that be over react by a factor of ten."

You've got that right!

I've never played around with MEK very much but when I was in college, a long time ago, my favorite solvent was trichloroethylene. They did away with that stuff before I graduated.

It's all a bunch of political BullSquat. The law says that any chemical known to cause cancer must be dealt with to minimize exposure to the public( or something like that ), however that made one glaring exception, Benzene. No kidding it's a special exception for a Chemical!

In case you were wondering gasoline is 60% benzene. You figure it out.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/03/31 23:59

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
18 Oct 2005 18:48 #2678 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
MEK and Acetone are the same thing. One dries faster, both smell, work the same way. Sorry if MEK causes cancer, but if it does Acetone does too. What the heck DOESN'T cause cancer??? I'm sure they are not the same but they can be interchanged because they do the same thing.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Oct 2005 06:12 #2747 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=321

There is an accompanying info .pdf file I think you can download from this page that gives more info on the product used to "strip inferior products". The word "inferior" is synonymous with Kreem I think bwhahaha

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
19 Oct 2005 19:03 #2881 by Ron G
Replied by Ron G on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
I had my lined fuel tank acid dipped.

Ron

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/03/31 23:57

More
19 Oct 2005 19:04 #2882 by Ron G
Replied by Ron G on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
Here's the inside. A borescope was used to inspect the inside of the tank.

Ron

Post edited by: ron g, at: 2005/10/19 22:21

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/03/31 23:56

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
19 Oct 2005 22:09 #2907 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
I'm all for doing my own repairs, etc. when it comes to my vehicles, but dealing with hazardous chemicals (barring used oil, carb cleaner and the like) is something I try to avoid if possible.

One thing you might want to consider, is where to dispose of the used chemicals when you're done with them (they'd make a great weed killer for a garden/flowerbed, but that's kind of frowned upon by the E.P.A. :whistle: ).

If you plan on painting the tank anyway, I'd suggest checking with a radiator repair shop near you to see if they'd be willing to do it.
I had the tank for my ZN thoroughly cleaned out and lined by a radiator repair shop near me for $45.
Yes, it stripped almost all of the rattle-can paint job the PO had applied. But I had planned on having it and the rest of the bodywork repainted anyway.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
24 Oct 2005 16:20 #3920 by tkaser
Replied by tkaser on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
Where would one take a fuel tank to acid dipped?

thanks,
tkaser

More
24 Oct 2005 16:41 #3924 by John68
Replied by John68 on topic Gas tank Cleaning?
The same thing could be done at home with caustic base(pH 14), instead of caustic acid(pH 0). Refer to my other reply to this message. you are better off doing it yourself for quality purposes. when you take somethign to get it dipped, it doesn't just sit there in a tank doing nothing. they stick it in for a certain amount of time, then they pull it out and scrape and brush it, then stick it back in. This is a lot more evident when you get a whole car dipped. Sometimes you could have done it better yourself while blindfolded. typical costs for a fuel tank is around $60 depending on where you take it.I have seen some that charge close to $150.