Side cover sanding

• greatbeefalo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2007 11:57 #142807 by greatbeefalo
Side cover sanding was created by greatbeefalo
I read up on some old posts about cover sanding and Im not sure how much paint Im supposed to sand off. The Clymer manual says the color is part of the plastic--what should the cover look like once its ready to prime?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2007 19:52 #145784 by Z1r Crazy
Replied by Z1r Crazy on topic Side cover sanding
they will look plastic color (Black) if your paint does not have cracks in it I would sand with 320 grit use scotch brite in the hard to get places.

More
02 Jun 2007 21:18 #145802 by turpehar
Replied by turpehar on topic Side cover sanding
This all depends on what you're wanting to do, and if this is the first repaint or not. If this is the first repaint and the suface is in good shape, you're in luck. I lean toward using 400 wet as the final paper. One trick you can do to make sure you're imperfections are minimal is to buy two different colors of compatible primer. This is called a guide coat. Use only one color until you think you're ready for paint. Then spray a light coat of the second color. Wrap your sandpaper around a good paint stick on flat surfaces, or use a sanding pad on contours. Sand lightly until the second color is gone. Pit's or other imperfections will show as the second color. Use the first color to buildup and resand the places that need to go further. Again, use the guide coat method. Maybe this is more than you want to do, or I've totally bored you.

If you have more than paint job, at least sand until you get down past the second paint job, and do what I mentioned above

Good luck

Post edited by: turpehar, at: 2007/06/03 00:21

More
02 Jun 2007 21:26 #145804 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Side cover sanding
Sand off all the original paint down to black, then you can add whatever you want, and the great thing is repaint is really wonderfully flexible, meaning after repaint you can pretty much just wash it off with water. Tired of black? Spray it with a hose, it will come right off and go yellow, Yuk, but with repaint who cares as the bike looks like crap so repaint daily for daily crap looks.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
03 Jun 2007 07:36 #145846 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Side cover sanding
Hey Ron,
I guess I don't understand your point. Are you saying that original paint no matter what the condition is always superior to repaints?

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
03 Jun 2007 08:31 #145853 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Side cover sanding
ron, your killing me! :woohoo: :lol: :laugh: :P
we all know your love of original paint and keeping your bike as close to oe as possible.
if that was the case, we would never change our tires or chain and sprockets.
not all of us can afford a mint classic.
(if i recall, the last one i wanted went for over 23k)
we all know where you stand on a repaint but please give it a rest!
i think the job that mark wing did on 4r's bike looks 10 times better then the factory job and people agree or he would not have won awards for it.

you are entitled to your opinion,but we don't need to hear it every chance you get.

thank you.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Jun 2007 10:52 #145893 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Side cover sanding
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2007 11:47 #145906 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Side cover sanding
The first and second posts have you covered ignore the third one. You can use a flexible primer that you can get in spray cans. You can use it on non-flexible parts like the tank also.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
03 Jun 2007 11:49 #145909 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Side cover sanding
RonKZ650 wrote:

Sand off all the original paint down to black, then you can add whatever you want, and the great thing is repaint is really wonderfully flexible, meaning after repaint you can pretty much just wash it off with water. Tired of black? Spray it with a hose, it will come right off and go yellow, Yuk, but with repaint who cares as the bike looks like crap so repaint daily for daily crap looks.

Ron's think about this new latex spray paint?

:lol:
Attachments: