Cleaning blue off chrome pipes (was: This should be a sticky somewhere)

More
18 May 2007 18:23 #141377 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
OKC_Kent wrote:

And the paint doesn't burn off inside?

Was very sketical and figured probably just wasting $7.95 on hi-temp. But had wondered about it for several years. And when finally got the new exhaust system, thought what-the-heck and gave it a try. Has actually wound up being a little success story (helping offset some catastrophic failures). :P

Haven't pulled the headers since then, but am guessing built up soot and carbon will prevent true examination. Will blissfully presume the hi-temp remains intact between the carbon and inner pipe wall (fingers still crossed, but 29's are purrring and pipes did suffer high running temps during the Bike Week run). Still gleaming -- appear as if engine never even cranked. Knock on wood. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2007 11:51 #143968 by BUFF
Replied by BUFF on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
Read an article on this years ago, writer claimed one medium coat worked better than multiple thick ones.

Doug
Gresham OR
74 Z1
72 H2
68 GS

More
12 Jun 2012 23:26 #528682 by hypnotikrobot
arise thread of old.

I'm bumping this because my bikes headers are blued. Has anyone had bluing return after having polished it off? Should the carbon build up on the inside prevent the return?

1979 Kawasaki 650 SR

More
13 Jun 2012 00:10 #528696 by 650ed
Chrome on stock pipes will not normally turn blue - only if engine has run too hot (likely a lean condition). This is because the stock pipes are double walled - a pipe inside a pipe. Aftermarket chrome pipes pretty much always turn gold/blue or darker because they are single walled so the chrome is exposed to higher heat. If your pipes are original and are blue, and if you can somehow polish it back to chrome, they should not turn dark again if your engine is properly tuned. If they are aftermarket I suspect they will turn dark again. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)