Cleaning blue off chrome pipes (was: This should be a sticky somewhere)

More
17 May 2007 23:06 #141154 by austin3119
Ok, I don't usually have anything really important and useful to share with people on the board that hasn't been covered before. But, I think this is something that pertains to almost everyone here.

Looking at my exhaust has bothered me for a while, due to the fact that it had turned a deep yellow and had a ton of crud up by the exhaust flanges that was burnt into it. I've done my research on this before, but never really came up with anything that fixed the problem.

Anyway, tonight I was out polishing my bike with Mother's Mag Aluminum Polish and took a look at my exhaust and said why not? Long story short, it works. Is it easy? Nope. Does it take some effort? Yep.

This is an inexpensive fix for that exhaust system that you paid so much for.

So here's what you need:

1. Mother's Mag Aluminum Polish

2. Microfiber cloth like you can find at Costco, Wallmart etc...

3. I would wipe the pipe down with some glass cleaner, windex etc before riding to get rid of any leftover residue.

4. Elbow grease.

I haven't had a chance to pull the flanges off and get the very top of the pipes yet, but the areas that I have done, almost look like new.

Good luck.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2007/05/18 03:32

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/05/18 10:51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2007 23:44 #141165 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
Got any pics?

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
17 May 2007 23:48 #141166 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
The picture doesn't really do it justice, but look at the difference between the inside pipe and the outside pipe.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2007/05/18 03:29

More
18 May 2007 00:34 #141170 by austin3119
This picture doesn't really do it justice, but look at the difference between the outisde pipe and the inside pipe.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2007/05/18 03:35

More
18 May 2007 07:09 #141214 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
Austin, you got MY attention with that pic.
When you say "elbow grease", how long to you really have to rub?
I've tried Mothers on my pipes, and nothing. Maybe I'm not rubbing long/hard enough?

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
18 May 2007 07:49 #141238 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
I'm trying to figure out what forum this would fit in best, probably paint and bodywork (it'll get deleted here after time). I floated the idea of a tools and techniques/tips forum that went nowhere. I think this is a topic that would fit in that kind of a category.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
18 May 2007 08:00 #141247 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
YOu can also stop them from turning colors in the first place by sparying the inside with some high temp paint. You need some very heavy coats. You are not going to see it so don't worry about runs or anything. You actually want it to run so it will further down the pipe.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
18 May 2007 09:13 #141268 by austin3119
ltdrider,

I had to rub really hard in the places that were the worst. For one pipe, in the condition that my pipes are in, I would say it would take me about 30-45 mins for 1 pipe. I might try a drill or dremel with a polishing pad but that kind of scares me a bit with the chrome.

More
18 May 2007 11:05 #141314 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
kawtoy wrote:

YOu can also stop them from turning colors in the first place by sparying the inside with some high temp paint. You need some very heavy coats. You are not going to see it so don't worry about runs or anything. You actually want it to run so it will further down the pipe.

Agree, and new pipes are not discoloring dispite highway speeds and extended idling for several hours in bumper to bumper at Daytona Bike Week. So far, so good. Used all contents of one large spray can of ultra hi-temp inside the 4 new header pipes. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2007 17:48 #141371 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
Patton wrote:

kawtoy wrote:

Agree, and new pipes are not discoloring dispite highway speeds and extended idling for several hours in bumper to bumper at Daytona Bike Week. So far, so good. Used all contents of one large spray can of ultra hi-temp inside the 4 new header pipes. :)

Forgot to mention --

When spraying inside the pipes, do several separate thinner coats allowing a little time to dry between applications. This allows the paint to build up a thicker coating instead of just having a lot of overspray running down the pipes and out the other end. Endeavor to get the layer of paint as thick as possible.

Believe the thicker paint layer provides more insulation. Only a gut feeling, but mine are still gleaming. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 May 2007 17:58 #141374 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
And the paint doesn't burn off inside?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• wireman
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 18:08 #141376 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic This should be a sticky somewhere
OKC_Kent wrote:

And the paint doesn't burn off inside?

by the time it does there will be a layer of carbon built up to take its place;)