G2 Brake Caliper Paint

More
12 May 2007 20:05 #139563 by 76LTD
G2 Brake Caliper Paint was created by 76LTD
Anybody ever use G2 brake caliper paint?

I sprayed mine with VHT last winter when I was rebuilding everything. It looked great but disolves at the slightest hint of brake fluid. I am looking for something better. I see G2 and folia advertised as better options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2007 20:15 #139567 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
76LTD wrote:

I sprayed mine with VHT last winter when I was rebuilding everything. It looked great but disolves at the slightest hint of brake fluid. I am looking for something better. I see G2 and folia advertised as better options.

Welcome to the wonderful world of repaint. I would highly doubt any brand of paint is any better. Once you repaint, it's going to always be a pain in the ass because it's fragile and wont last even if no harsh chemicals touch it. Brake fluid near repaint???? HA, HA. Good luck with that, don't care what kind of paint you use.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 May 2007 20:48 #139581 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint

76LTD wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

Hey '76,

While our esteemed colleague is known far and wide to have hired Pink Floyd's sound truck to blare his brand of pessimism from what seems to be every hill and rooftop, in ain't quite all as bad as that. ;)

Don't have any direct experience with G2, but if it's formulated to be DOT resistant, it's easy enough to check both its formula and track record.

That said, the largest single mistake made when painting items that exist in contact with solvent environments is proper curing of the paint itself.

Perhaps the biggest mistakes being that prep work is iffy, paint is shot one day, given all of one night to set up, then the caliper is slapped back together the next day and fluid gets slopped all over it.

Best thing to do is have the calipers bead blasted, then paint them *immediately*. Let 'em set, then if possible, hard-set the paint using infared lamps if possible, or at the very least exposing them to direct sunlight for several days before starting re-assembly.

It's all well and good for people to make oddball comments about the futility of "repaint" - but that neither makes what are already a crappy set of calipers look better - nor offers much in the way of useful solutions. ;)
Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
12 May 2007 21:08 #139587 by Pterosaur
Okay, just took a look at: The G-2 Manufacturing Brake Caliper PaintSystem

It's really pretty simple stuff.

They give you a standard can of spray brake cleaner, and a couple of small cans one of a variety of colored enamels and a can of urethane hardener.

Simply stated, this is mixing a thick batch of catalyzed automotive paint, with perhaps some recipe tricks to make it a bit more solvent resistant, you mix the two, brush it on, and the catalyst polymerizes within the paint, making for a pretty tough coating.

Despite their instructions, I'd still do two things; bead blast the calipers - and give it at least 24 hours to set before putting 'em back together.

I'd say there's better ways to do it, but as a simple DIY-type of kit, it'll do okay. It'll be pretty resistant to DOT spills, but I'd wipe away any spillage rather than just let it sit on the fresh paint.

And there you have it. ;)

More
12 May 2007 22:55 #139599 by Voodoosoup
Replied by Voodoosoup on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
I used this stuff on some car calipers a few years back. It held up fine for the couple of years that I had the car after I painted them. It brushed on very nicely and the coverage was great.

More
12 May 2007 23:23 #139600 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
Just a "newbies" opinion, having some recent experience w/ brake master cylinder/caliper repaint...I'm beginning to appreciate the appearance of naked aluminum.:pinch:

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 05:14 #139611 by Pterosaur
ronjones wrote:

Just a "newbies" opinion, having some recent experience w/ brake master cylinder/caliper repaint...I'm beginning to appreciate the appearance of naked aluminum.:pinch:

Sound enough wisdom - can't peel off what ain't there...

A couple of early-morning thoughts on the stuff:

It's worth noting that the ad itself says nothing about application over aluminum - which makes sense because it's a car caliper kit - and car calipers are generally made out of steel of some sort.

That isn't a deal breaker - and as noted in a previous post, it'll stick pretty well, but there's a couple of things that'll help it:

First, BEAD BLAST the calipers. Plain and simple. A can of brake cleaner and a wire brush just ain't gonna cut it as "prep" for paint. Blasting will take the metal down to a clean, un-oxidized surface - much better for adhesion purposes.

Second, if you *really* wanna get trick, get a small can of ZINC CHROMATE primer - available from aircraft refinishing outfits - blast the calipers, prime 'em with the Z/C, and then apply your paint. Do that, and you'll have a hard time getting the paint off with dynamite.

As stated previously, there's better ways to do it - just a matter of how trick you wanna get. ;)

More
13 May 2007 06:19 #139624 by 76LTD
Replied by 76LTD on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
I wonder if powder coating would be better? That for sure is tough stuff. Can it take an occasional brush with brake fluid?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 06:23 #139626 by Pterosaur
76LTD wrote:

I wonder if powder coating would be better? That for sure is tough stuff. Can it take an occasional brush with brake fluid?

Yep. It'll do just peachy - much better looking - and lasting - than the G2 kit. B)

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 13:18 #139716 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
Pterosaur wrote:

76LTD wrote:

Yep. It'll do just peachy - much better looking - and lasting - than the G2 kit. B)

what the squirrel saidB) i used to have really good luck painting parts with dupont imron,but its about impossible to find anymore with all the epa crap;) dot 5 brakefluid helps also;)

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 13:51 #139727 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic G2 Brake Caliper Paint
oh yeah,hey ron!have you got a phone number for the pink floyd sound crew?ive got a birthday coming up and would love to have david gilmour show up !:evil: :P