Rust remover

More
27 Apr 2007 14:44 #134756 by vach
Rust remover was created by vach
Anyone have a good rust remover for chrome? My bike sat for 8yrs and the header is rusted. It was new whein I parked it but moisture got to it. I'd rather try and clean it up with some rust remover and see what kind of shape they are in.

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2007 14:51 #134759 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Rust remover
Practically anything along the lines of el-cheapo "Naval Jelly" you can get at auto and hardware stores will do ya there.

Get yourself a bag of fine steel wool and a set of rubber gloves.

Goop it up, let it stand awhile - 10-15 mintes or so and start scrubbing with steel wool. May take several apps to get the full effect. ;)

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
27 Apr 2007 15:47 #134768 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Rust remover
The active stuff in 'Navel Jelly' is phosphoric acid. Home depot has added it to the paint section in the last 12 months. Approx $18/gallon. Way cheaper than those 4 oz bottles of "it's a miracle, the rust is gone" crap.

Clean it real well. If the pits are small the phosphoic acid will form iron phosphate at the pit. It's brittle and easily knocked off, but while it's there the rust won't spread.

More
27 Apr 2007 17:27 - 03 Dec 2008 12:46 #134806 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 12:46 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2007 17:44 #134812 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Rust remover
JMKZHI wrote:

I treated one of the pipes w phosphoric acid from HomeDepot - bad idea - trust me. hee. JMK.

JMK's got a point there; if saving the remaining chrome appeals to you, skip the phosphoric. ;)

Rust works through the crystal structure of the metal at a microscopic level before it's even noticeable. The phosphoric would follow the rust trail right under remaining chrome, leaving it not a whole lot to hang on to.

Doesn't hurt anything to try JMK's way first - then go the phosphoric route if you aren't satisfied... :dry: