gas tank repair

More
25 Apr 2007 16:19 #133937 by peterc
gas tank repair was created by peterc
In the last few months i bought a 1983 kz750E,i just finished cleaning the carbs(6 hours worth)and moved on to the gas tank.I found a screw and washer in the verry bottom that was sealing a leak,the gas cap would not open but with a little work i got it open the pin under the lock was broken and i will replace or make a new one.On the inside of the tank i noticed it had ben sealed with a pinkish creamy colored epoxy type material.The question is does anyone know what this might be? I have heard about sealers for tanks but have not used them before.other than were the screw was the rest of the tank looks solid ( i striped the paint to bare metal) any help would be a great help thanks.;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2007 17:23 #133959 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic gas tank repair
yeah its probably some kind of tank sealer.can you post a picture of where the screw is at?;)

More
25 Apr 2007 17:34 #133964 by peterc
Replied by peterc on topic gas tank repair
my camera is dead sitting on the bike 3/4 way back on left side 3/8 inch up from the seam.

More
25 Apr 2007 17:42 #133968 by peterc
I was going to replace the tank but the last 4 i have looked at were in worst shape than mine hopeing i can fiberglass patch the hole and re coat the inside.with the stuf that is in there now it looks pretty clean.as i mentioned i cleaned the carbs they had alot of rust sediment in the bottom of the bowls.I think the tank was the problem.;)

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2007 17:54 #133971 by wireman
i dont know about fiberglass . id remove the screw and rough it up really good in an area a couple inches bigger than you need and put a little ding where the hole is then i would either solder it up or find some gas resistant epoxy to fill it in with;)

More
25 Apr 2007 18:07 #133978 by peterc
thanks for the reply the epoxy is a good idea do you know ware i can get the sealer? and is there any know if i can buy a replacement gas cap mine is junk i could fix it if need be but the crome is rough to.It is rectangular in shape my 83 LTD has the same one on it.

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2007 18:18 #133981 by wireman
auto parts store should have some epoxy that will work,put it on smooth as possible to save you some sanding;) im not sure if you can put sealer over sealer.if inside of tank is clean and not flaking id just run it;)

More
05 May 2007 16:54 #137387 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic gas tank repair
If its pinkish white then more than likely it KREEM a brand of takn sealer. I'm with the epoxy sealer if possable.. theres a couple of them that are a two part putty you mix and press in to holes to seal up car tanks with holes. Might look for some of that.

More
05 May 2007 17:01 - 03 Dec 2008 11:14 #137391 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 11:14 by JMKZHI.