Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT

More
24 Apr 2007 05:38 #133382 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT
Pterosaur wrote:

ronjones wrote:

I have to put this one in, you can see a nice reflection of the bottle of polish.:woohoo:
Th-th-th-that's all folks...Thanks PT:cheer:

This is the shot that really tells the story. ;)

Don't know exactly why, but cameras just don't seem to like silvers and light blue metallics - always have a bitch of a time getting a proper view of the proceedings.

Y'dun good.

For the record, this is the first I've seen these shots myself, and depspite the rather inept nature of trying to communicate *anything* via PM, Ron did a really nice job of interpreting my pidgin.

Rather than latching on to that barely intelligible mishmash of yapping as some authoritative text on how to paint everything including yourself and the tree you're under, I've considered doing a series I joked with Ron under the heading of "Rattlecanning Like You Mean It."

Basically, taking a junk tank of some variety and document the whole process - from stripping to clear.

If there's enough interest out there, I'll do it. ;)

Yeah, none of these pics really show the job that well, but this one does show the reflectivity.
I wasn't sure how to attach a pic to a PM so I though I'd just wait until I did a post. Glad ya think I "done good":), I'm just glad you are not local and can't take a good close look at all my mistakes;(.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2007 06:04 #133389 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT
I think that came out really nicely! Good job :)

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
24 Apr 2007 06:31 #133400 by ronjones
Thanks Pyxen:)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
24 Apr 2007 06:48 #133407 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT
So, was all this done with a rattle can? If so, it seems there are some amazing products out there. If not, what is a good "starter" outfit to get?

I already have a 15 gallon compressor capable of 125 PSI! ;)

I assume a regulator (even though the compressor has one), a dryer, and paint gun are the basics? Perhaps most important is time and patience. Somethings I'm often in short supply of.

I have a project that will need paint at some point. While sending it off to someone else is easy, the challenge of doing it oneself has a certain appeal.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
24 Apr 2007 06:53 #133410 by ronjones
Yep, Nate, it was all done w/rattlecan.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2007 06:57 #133413 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT
ronjones wrote:

Pterosaur wrote:
Damn. I said all that?

My check in the mail yet? :P

Ya' sure did...actually I probably edited 3/4 of the PM content.

Other artists work in oils or rattlecans, I prefer profanity.

"In the heat of battle, PT wove a tapestry of obscenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

-with thanks to Ralphie in "A Christmas Story".

Re: check in mail, yet?
You will be pleased to know that I bought carbon emission credits, from this company that I'm forming, in your name;). ...sorry you will not be able to make the utility bill payments:(

Story of my life. :S

I should'a said, "The name's cash - Adolph Cash - just make the check out to cash." Instead, I go teaching Al Gore how to put a shine on his big round thingy. Go figure. :pinch:

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/04/24 10:00

More
24 Apr 2007 07:02 #133418 by ronjones
:lol: :lol: :lol: :cheer: :evil: :pinch: :dry: :laugh: :laugh: B) :P

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2007 07:25 #133425 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Clear Coat Conversation or PM's with PT
N0NB wrote:

So, was all this done with a rattle can? If so, it seems there are some amazing products out there. If not, what is a good "starter" outfit to get?

Egad. The queschuns have begun already. :ohmy:

I already have a 15 gallon compressor capable of 125 PSI! ;)

Fabulous! You're equipped to paint the back door of the barn while standing in the front door threshold! :lol:

I assume a regulator (even though the compressor has one), a dryer, and paint gun are the basics? Perhaps most important is time and patience. Somethings I'm often in short supply of.

Queschuns, queschuns. My second cuppa joe and 5 aspirin ain't kicked in yet - I ain't answering no queschuns this early. :pinch:

I have a project that will need paint at some point. While sending it off to someone else is easy, the challenge of doing it oneself has a certain appeal.

Yes, much as depicted on "Tool Time", there is a certain satisfaction to be gained from getting your nutz caught in the spin-cycle of your front-load dryer. :silly:

I'm thinking of modifying the "Rattlecanning Like You Mean It" idea to a project on some poor victi.... errr... *member's* pieces parts - if I'm going to expend the effort, I might as well do it on something that won't get tossed or used as an ashtray when I'm done.

Stay tuned for details. B)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/04/24 10:28