Engine paint

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Apr 2007 16:00 #126240 by mark1122
Engine paint was created by mark1122
Anyone have trouble with Dupli color gloss black engine paint chipping? I tried Duplicolor’s high heat paint on my head after glass bead, thinner, and an acetone bath. But it seems to be too thick and chips too easy. I found it dificult to get coverage in all the nooks and crannies so I kept spraying and it did end up pretty thick.Does the semi gloss spray on thinner ? Or is there something better I should use ? I an going to have to reblast I think?:angry:

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 16:08 #126243 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Engine paint
i aint ever had luck getting anything to stick to an aluminum cylinder or head.maybe try preheating head,then baking head in the sun afterwards .dont bake painted parts in wifes oven dont ask me how i know!:blush: :whistle: :woohoo:

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Apr 2007 16:12 #126245 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Engine paint
I just waited till she was out then snuck it into the oven.:P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 16:17 #126249 by wireman
i did that years ago in an apartment with some aluminum boat headers i painted!:blink: :P

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Apr 2007 20:02 #126299 by mark1122
Did you get caught?:P :woohoo: :angry: :side:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 20:10 #126302 by wireman
by everybody in the damn building!:blush: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :pinch: :P

More
03 Apr 2007 22:07 #126320 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Engine paint
I've had good luck with the simi-gloss. Start painting the hard to get areas first then get the rest.
Mark

Post edited by: Mark Wing, at: 2007/04/04 01:15

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
08 Apr 2007 20:23 #127942 by mark1122
I'd like to hear from all that have had success painting your heads and blocks. What did you do for prep work? Sand blast or glass? types of cleaners used before paint? Type of paint? How long has it lasted? Thanks I'm In a bit of a pickle over paint or not now, since I have 1 faild attempt.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
10 Apr 2007 10:52 #128533 by Mandrake
Replied by Mandrake on topic Engine paint
I'll add my $.02. When using any spray-can product you will be somewhat limited due to the properties of the coating and solvents that are used. Be sure that they recommend their product specifically for aluminum. It also might be worth using a high-temp primer first. Investing in a basic spraygun will give you many more options when it comes to coating selection for engines. A decent little gravity fed unit will do the trick and can be had at Sears or HD for $50.

As far as blasting goes you should get better adhesion with a "sharper" abrasive. Glass beading seems to do a good job, particularly with cleaning, but you might consider a fine sand, garnet, coal-slag, or something like an aluminum oxide. Call your local blaster and ask what they have.

Finally, be careful in handling a cleaned piece. Oil from your hands can prevent good adhesion in certain spots. A pair of cotton gloves should solve the problem.

BTW - can anyone recommend a good set-up for blasting small pieces?

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2007 11:02 #128537 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Engine paint
Mandrake wrote:

I'll add my $.02.

What Mandrake said. ;)

My only nit is my experience with using sand as a blasting medium for anything aluminum - the grains tend to shatter and embed themselves in the aluminum pores, leaving a dusty, "dirty" surface that needs additional handling/cleaning between blasting and application stages.

My best results were always bead-blast, blow it off, shoot your primer/paint and you're outta there. B)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
10 Apr 2007 14:24 #128584 by mark1122
Thanks .I just shot the head with aluminum oxide and I will try again on the week end.

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
10 Apr 2007 14:26 #128586 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic Engine paint
as far as engine paint goes, z1enterprises carries this one:

www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1752

maybe give jeff a call to see if he has any first hand experience with it.