Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

what you can do with some time and $30 11 Dec 2005 18:03 #12687

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Looks great! I would like to hear the details too. I can never seem to get the parts that shiny.
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what you can do with some time and $30 11 Dec 2005 18:26 #12689

• oldcuda68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I would like to add another WRITEUP!!! I just got started on my engine side covers today. I am just trying some never dull for starters. I am hoping Santa gets me a new Dremel tool. I don't have a big enough compressor at my garage at the house to run my die grinder and it is too cold and too hard to heat my other garage to be near my big compressor, so electric is the way to go for me! I have all winter to get things polished before re-assembly.
1980 KZ750 LTD
1984 Honda GL1200 Interstate
Too many other toys to mention

what you can do with some time and $30 12 Dec 2005 20:22 #12875

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I learned tonight why I was having trouble using my dremel for polishing. I was running it way to fast. A Dremel rep came into Home Depot and we mentioned what I was doing and that it was a PITA because I was killing bits so fast. He told me to keep the RPMs down to about 500 and things would look great. My Dremel is only 2 speed so I took the variable speed drill and after 600 gritting my wheels I put the Dremel buffing pad on with some black, then white and then red compound and ran it as slowly as I could hold it and I can see myself in some spots on my mags. The goal is to polish them as much as Sandracers

what you can do with some time and $30 12 Dec 2005 20:33 #12876

• JPinLA
  • User
Btw - NEVER buy the Battery powered dremel... while it seems like a good idea, they fade fast and they're not a heavy duty item.. the contacts wind up burning out as well in the battery compartment..

Go with AC!!!!!

Keep up the great work and take more pictures!!!!

I'm about to start a project so this is all good information...

(but then again, you know me.. I'm usually happy with that Scotchbrite pad / wd40 look!)

what you can do with some time and $30 12 Dec 2005 21:49 #12885

• tweakin_82
  • User
That looks amazing! A step by step of this would be awesome since i just started my restoration project.

what you can do with some time and $30 02 Jan 2006 21:19 #15759

• mykznme
  • mykznme's Avatar Topic Author
  • User

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

what you can do with some time and $30 03 Jan 2006 14:33 #15850

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Mmmmmm....Shiiiinnny!
Whenever I see polished aluminum I always stop to admire it. Mostly because I know how much effort goes into the job, and I know that I'm going to meet someone who loves their bike.
Chrome is nice, but it can't hold a candle to well-polished aluminum. Nice!
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

what you can do with some time and $30 05 Jan 2006 03:15 #16073

• Snakebyte
  • User
Locks like your hands are still in the polishing mood when taken the picks:laugh:
I have found that steel wool works on things like carburator covers (NOT the chrome kind)and front forks, etc. I'm not talking about the agresive steel wool either I'm taking about the finner steel wool. With some Miguirs or Mothers polish on the steel wool start to rub and in no time it will shine. Of course you have to go over it again with a cloth, but results are fast. I have use never dull and it takes to long. Not to mension the shine is not to impresive.

what you can do with some time and $30 05 Jan 2006 15:24 #16169

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
JPinLA wrote:

Btw - NEVER buy the Battery powered dremel... while it seems like a good idea, they fade fast and they're not a heavy duty item.. the contacts wind up burning out as well in the battery compartment..

Go with AC!!!!!

Keep up the great work and take more pictures!!!!

I'm about to start a project so this is all good information...

(but then again, you know me.. I'm usually happy with that Scotchbrite pad / wd40 look!)

a MILLION TIMES agreed!

I got a new dremel for christmas and my parents had asked if I wanted a battery one.

NO THANK YOU!

I look at a dremel like a tattoo machine... the results of it's use are sometimes VERY dependant on a steady pace... and if you start at 30Krpms and it slows to 20K over a few minutes of use it can really frill things up.

Screw that noise. PLUG IN FOR ME! :D

• Page: