good cutting aluminum polish

More
24 Mar 2007 09:17 #123088 by brawnyrebel
good cutting aluminum polish was created by brawnyrebel
I used some oven cleaner to degrease my engine while i have it out of the bike. It did a real number on my side covers and mothers polish will not bring it out. Is there a high grit polish or something that may take care of it? Its that or they go to the powder coaters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2007 09:21 #123090 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic good cutting aluminum polish
you will probably have to start with some fine grit sandpapers and work your way to the mothers

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2007 09:39 #123095 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic good cutting aluminum polish
katjbus wrote:

you will probably have to start with some fine grit sandpapers and work your way to the mothers

Most likely, depending on how scratchy things got.

A pic of the covers would help get a better idea of what's really needed.

Simichrome seems to have a higher grit content than other polishes.

A pretty well done thread on polishing:

Home polishing, how and what do you need?

More
24 Mar 2007 09:51 #123100 by brawnyrebel
Replied by brawnyrebel on topic good cutting aluminum polish
I'll try to get a pic up later. There aren't really any scratches, it seems like the ovencleaner just forced dirt down into the pores of the metal.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2007 10:30 #123105 by Pterosaur
brawnyrebel wrote:

I'll try to get a pic up later. There aren't really any scratches, it seems like the ovencleaner just forced dirt down into the pores of the metal.

Cool.

Prior to going ape with Mother's/Blue Magic/Simichrome, etc., the best stuff I know of for pre-polish cleaning aluminum without gobs of grit, perfume, food coloring and whatever else they shovel into the vat is plain old brake cleaner. Breaks down grease, dirt and the associated gunk in a jiffy, evaporates in a hurry without leaving a tacky residue. $1.98 a can at most AutoMart (tm) type stores.

Big issues with it are fumes - ventilate well, and get some cheapo rubber gloves.

Used in conjunction with a soft brush - an old toothbrush is perfect - and a wipe-down rag, the results 'll downright amaze you. ;)

And you don't have to apply it with a fire hose - wet down a small area, brush it, wipe down, rinse with a little more cleaner and another quick wipe.

Repeat, move around as necessary. B)

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/03/24 13:35

More
24 Mar 2007 10:40 #123106 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic good cutting aluminum polish
Some 2000 grit sandpaper should cut through it then mothers will do the rest.If you have to you can start with some 1000 paper. You can try some automotive rubbing compound, it's got some grit to it.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
25 Mar 2007 05:56 #123264 by brawnyrebel
I'll get some sand paper out later and start with a shot of brake cleaner and see how it goes. i'll snap some shots first

More
25 Mar 2007 17:20 #123406 by brawnyrebel
I did a bit of sanding on the covers today. The 1500 grit got them looking better than they did before they got the oven cleaner on them but i'm still not compleatly done

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2007 17:33 #123410 by Pterosaur
brawnyrebel wrote:

I did a bit of sanding on the covers today. The 1500 grit got them looking better than they did before they got the oven cleaner on them but i'm still not compleatly done

Stick with it:

You can get really spiffy results with practice and an idea what you're looking to do.

It's entirely possible to polish aluminum to a mirror finish, but sometimes it isn't the desired effect; in the shot above, the object was to make 'em as clean as possible, but leave enough of a buff on 'em to approximate the best-possible "factory" look. ;)
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2007 19:36 #123460 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic good cutting aluminum polish
What was the name of that product that KZ250LTD (Tim) was using on his fork legs awhile ago? I can't think of the name, but his photos showed great results.

ps: That shot of your motor/engine (take your pick) is a goodun PT. :)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2007 19:58 #123471 by Pterosaur
neilage66 wrote:

ps: That shot of your motor/engine (take your pick) is a goodun PT. :)

Thanks.

If yawanna go nuts for shine, it really doesn't take any "miracle polish" - if there is such a thing - here's a shot doen with various grist of paper, glass cleaner, Turtle Wax polishing compound, Blue Magic polish - and elbow grease. ;)

B) ;) :unsure: :dry: :cheer: :silly:
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2007 18:53 #123755 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic good cutting aluminum polish
Yowza, them's spiffy! :)