are these parts ok to send to powder coating?

More
22 Mar 2007 09:03 #122512 by zmaniscalco
brake parts,
I will pull all down to metal and have them tape off surface, but has anyone had a problem doing that?

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2007 09:06 #122513 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2007 09:10 #122516 by zmaniscalco
Replied by zmaniscalco on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
this is what I am sending so far +frame

78 kZ1000
79 KZ1000 Ltd turbo
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2007 12:07 #122568 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
send away,just remove any plastic or rubber paers first;)

More
22 Mar 2007 13:09 #122590 by KzJim
Make sure you tell them what you DONT want powder on...
no rubber, plastic or anything that will melt or bearings.. or anything that has a clearance fit... powder can be between 1.5 and 2.0mils thick thats just enough for a bearing not to fit back in...
..and take the piston out of the caliper, the more its appart the better the PC company will like you... I charge extra to take stuff appart.;)

Taping stuff off shouldnt be an issue for the PC company

Post edited by: KzJim, at: 2007/03/22 16:32

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
30 Mar 2007 23:22 #125114 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
Thats going to be sweet when your all done. Make sure to get some pictures up when everything is put back together.

More
31 Mar 2007 05:41 #125128 by 76LTD
Watch out for the white ID label on the steering stem of the frame. Mine made it through the primer coat/ heat cycle of being powder coated, but even though it was protected, turned brown and cracked in the final paint cycle. I ended up scraping and sanding what was left off, and painting the spot. I don't know if there is a special extra protective thing that the powdercoater can do, but it's worth a question. Definitely protect the caliper piston cylinders. They have great little plugs for all the threaded holes. I still had to run a tap through a few spots but it's not a big deal. The swing arm bearing should be full of grease which will probably run when heated. So, you either have to really work to clean it all out or take the bushings and spacer out and still clean it well. There should be grease between the outside of the spacer and the inside of the swing arm. If you take the bushings out make sure they plug the holes where they go so you are not having to sand out the powdercoat. If they leave them in, make sure they are plugged so your bushing sleeves will fit back in. Steering stem bearing areas is another place to not powdercoat. Have fun.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
31 Mar 2007 08:25 #125152 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
I'd suggest removing the bearings out of everything (swingarm, etc) that has them before having the pieces PC'd, then replacing those almost 30 y/o bearings with new ones when you get the parts back.
Good time to also upgrade to the tapered steering bearings too.
That way you won't bugger up the PC job you just spent good money having done by trying to remove them later on, and will know that they'll be new and good for many years/miles to come. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
31 Mar 2007 09:02 #125161 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
Sandblasting and cleaning up those parts will save you mucho dough- prep work is where they charge you big time, because it takes so much time!

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

• wireman
  • Visitor
31 Mar 2007 10:43 #125187 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
CruisingRam wrote:

Sandblasting and cleaning up those parts will save you mucho dough- prep work is where they charge you big time, because it takes so much time!

i clean all the big stuff off but i let the powder coater do the glassbeading that way if something screws up its on him;)

More
01 Apr 2007 21:47 #125741 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic are these parts ok to send to powder coating?
I picked up one of those cheapy coaters on ebay and it has more than paid for itself. I did all my brake parts and they are holding up great!

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125