Z650 Fairing.......

More
13 Mar 2007 05:37 #119719 by Fourtoes
Z650 Fairing....... was created by Fourtoes
Just bought this fairing for my z650. Going to paint it and was just wondering how I could best attach it to the bike.

Didn't come with any brackets etc.

Anyone got anything similar? Any pics of how its mounted? Any suggestions.

Also got a smaller one for the z250 project. Might get really cheesy and do it as a Mini Z650!!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
13 Mar 2007 06:20 #119732 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Z650 Fairing.......
Cool looking fairing Fourtoes.
I was faced with a similar problem, but I lucked out when a friend of mine gave me some brackets from an old universal fairing. But basically you can replicate my brackets with a couple of steel rods bent into an "L" shape, and some appropriately sized Adel clamps: www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=...63_82&action=product
No doubt though, you'll be faced with some serious frustration trying to get it all lined up properly.
Nevermind the feeling of dread when you finally burn your headlight out and need to remove the fairing to replace it. :pinch:
Sorry I don't have any pics of my "arrangement" right now. If I get a chance to tonight, I'll take some pics.

More
13 Mar 2007 06:46 #119741 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Z650 Fairing.......
I had that fairing on my 650 years ago.
It had mounting holes on each side of the headlight about half way up from top to bottom.
The brackets were thin metal in the shape of a V with slots in the ends.
They were attached to the bike by loosening the turn signals and sliding the slots in there.
When installed this way, the windshield of the fairing came right up to the master cylinder on stock bars.

Hope that made sense.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
13 Mar 2007 06:51 #119743 by Fourtoes
Replied by Fourtoes on topic Z650 Fairing.......
So the slot was at the bottom of the V? Correct?

When I offer the fairing up to the bike/headlamp the indicators seem to get in the way, and stop the headlamp hole getting anywhere near the lamp itself.

Do you think I should take the indicators off and add some fairing indicators? Should be straight forward enough. I would like to keep the original ones but they do seem to be in the way!

More
13 Mar 2007 07:57 #119758 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Z650 Fairing.......
Hmmmmm,

My indicators came right up to the edge of the fairing and the headlight barley seated.

I think I remember some people saying they had to shave away a little of the fairing around the indicators for it to seat properly.

Here is a very poor rendition of what the brackets looked like.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)
Attachments: