Homemade Blasting Cabinet??

More
28 Feb 2007 14:58 #116165 by Nelson
Homemade Blasting Cabinet?? was created by Nelson
Has anyone made their own? Do you really need the vacuum? Seems like containing the media is the primary issue.

I was thinking of just using a regular freehand blast gun. Setup a big wood or cardboard box with a parts rack 1/2 way down into it. blast parts from the top. do it outside and maybe 2/3 of the media would be saved in the bottom of the box. The rest would blow out. just an idea. what do u think? would it work?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
28 Feb 2007 15:03 #116167 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
im got a piece of crap i made out of an old dryer it works but it takes forever,my ol man paid like $5000.00 for the monster hes got its a master blaster or some name like that,if i was doing a lot of glassbeading i would break down and buy a good cabinet with all the goodies but i guess im just too cheap:P

More
28 Feb 2007 17:12 #116202 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
I have a homemade blasting cabinet that I bought at an auction for $6.

It's about 36" long, 24" wide, and 34" high on the inside, has lights in the top, whole ftont side is a door with a glass window, it has a vacuum, and is constructed of 1/2" plywood and lined with sheet metal on the inside. It actually looks just like a large commercial version except made of wood.

KD9JUR

More
28 Feb 2007 17:55 #116216 by geerbangr
Replied by geerbangr on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
I made my own cabinet from a set of plans from TP tools . It's nice . I use a standard shop vac as dust removal :woohoo: I don't remember exactly how much moolah I had in it , i'm thinking 3 or 4 hundred . Special assistance from my dad in the building of it . That guy is the greatest !!! I have the plans on file if anyone wants a copy , i think there is like 15 pages to the plans .:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

More
28 Feb 2007 18:33 #116226 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
toss 'em in the filebase!

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
28 Feb 2007 19:04 #116239 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
Vacuum is a must. Blasting kicks up lots of dust and you will not be able to see the part you are blasting without a vacuum. That dust is VERY fine. 5 minutes after I am done blasting there is still dust floating around the cabinet. If I turn on the vacuum for a few seconds it all disappears.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
01 Mar 2007 09:07 #116386 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
yeah, those plans should go in the filebase. thanks gearbangr!

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
01 Mar 2007 13:06 #116455 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
My buddy made a quickie cheapie out of a WalMart-sourced plastic storage tub, some plexiglas, and silicone. Worked good!

I bought a HF cheapie and would agree visibility gets bad fast without dust collection. Static cling of the dust is another issue (not to mention the static zap) I hadn't considered. As a hobbyist woodworker, I have a dust collector. Watch out with shop-vac type solutions and fine dust -- the dust can trash a motor fast if you're using aluminum oxide blast media. You need a good filter (usually sold as accessories).

'75 Z1B with mods

More
01 Mar 2007 13:11 #116459 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
Or you could do this- (not mine, pic is from Fatkow's shop)
Attachments:

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
02 Mar 2007 17:30 #116832 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
If I get one of those blasters from HF or other store I can use diffrent types of media in it?

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

More
02 Mar 2007 18:36 #116845 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Homemade Blasting Cabinet??
I've been thinking about this a lot myself. I live on a farm and there's always stuff popping up that looks like a viable candidate. There's an old grain bin with a nice funnel shape at the bottom. More sheet metal on the rusting away combines, etc. There's a cheap way to do, then there's a real cheap way to do it. Cardboard box would definitely be the latter, but I can't imagine it would last more than a few blasts. And I'm liking the suction/filter ideas.
Interesting discussion, keep it coming guys.