Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?

More
27 Feb 2007 11:29 #115828 by Nelson
Paint, powder, anodize for calipers? was created by Nelson
I'm thinking of painting them gloss black. But I envision peeling, chips, etc. especially by the bleeder which will certainly get some fluid on it.

Any thoughts on paint? Powder coat? Anodize? I've never tried these before. I don't want chrome or polishing, too flashy for my taste.

maybe engine paint? I can use pro auto stuff and shoot it with a real paint gun if needed, but I'd prefer spray can convenience. thanks!

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2007 12:32 #115842 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
Powder will hold up well, i have coated a few sets of auto calipers without any trouble.. just make sure that whoever does the work gets the part really clean... most places will use chemical resistant powder so no problems there and the heat generated by braking will not effect the powder either.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
27 Feb 2007 13:17 #115849 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
They make brake caliper paint that is supposed to resist peeling and cracking from brake fluid and heat.
I got mine at wal-mart.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
27 Feb 2007 15:07 #115864 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
hey mariozappa
have u tried that stuff yet? do you recall the brand?
thanks

Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
27 Feb 2007 19:16 - 21 Feb 2013 11:09 #115914 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 11:09 by H1Vindicator.

More
27 Feb 2007 20:50 #115953 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
I painted my front caliper with Ace Hardware gloss black a few years ago. It has held up great. However, I am going to take it apart and send it out to be powder coated this summer with a flat black. The gloss color makes it stick out too much. I would like it to be a little more subtle.

Good luck.

Oh by the way, a painting trick I have learned (where appropriate) is to get the part real clean with acetone, and then use a torch to remove any left over oils and residue. It works very well. Just let the item cool down before you hit it with the rattle can.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2007/02/27 23:53

More
27 Feb 2007 22:58 #115970 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
how interesting that the "caliper paint" is not holding up to brake fluid... thanks JMK, that's just the kind of info I need.

maybe powder is best choice... i dunno yet

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
28 Feb 2007 02:24 #115975 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?
If you take a look at my pic there, thats me playin paintball. I did that on a serious level for a long time.

Well to get the custom look on our markers we would have them anoed. The only issue is that you cannot ano cast alum (well pot metal cast alum) because the other metals (like zinc) will literally melt out of the aluminum and you have a bucket of pretty metal chunks.

I dont know for sure, but my calipers looked like good old japanese pot metal. I know they are cast....so i would think (without someone who knows for sure chiming in) that Ano would be out of the running.

I would get them power coated, that stuff it very durable.

Post edited by: hardr0ck68, at: 2007/02/28 05:26

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2007 05:44 #116653 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Paint, powder, anodize for calipers?

hey mariozappa
have u tried that stuff yet? do you recall the brand?

Well, I finally found the can in the gararge.
It called Plasti-Kote Brake caliper paint, made by Valspar.
I haven't used it yet, just waiting for the weather to warm up.
However I have used the Truck and SUV paint to paint the frame on my 750/4 and I'm happy with it.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)