Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?

More
05 Apr 2007 16:15 #126819 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
That picture of KZ-canis "SR" is not an "SR". It's a 1977 KZ650B or C or most likely a combination by the looks of it as it's got the 1977 engine, the single "B" model front brake but with mags instead of spoked wheels. SR was not a model in the KZ line in 1977. Don't go by that bike thinking you can add a tail as I don't think you can do it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2007 16:40 - 20 Feb 2013 18:45 #126833 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 20 Feb 2013 18:45 by H1Vindicator.

More
05 Apr 2007 17:00 #126844 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
Dave, my buddy who had an identical SR to mine, bought his SR with a stepped seat similar to an LTD style seat and it looked just fine.If you look in this photo you will see mine on the right(stock seat) and his on the left(stepped seat).

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
05 Apr 2007 19:21 #126887 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
I went out in the shed and attempted to mount a KZ650B tail and seat on a 1979SR and found the following;

Of course no mounts for the tail on a SR frame so mounts would have to be improvised or possibly tail could be mounted to seat instead of frame.

Worst part though is the seats are not even close. The spacing of the mounts is different plus the SR mounts are further back on the SR frame than a regular KZ650. I mean about 2" or more difference, not even close. The SR seat is a longer seat.

So to answer the question as simply as possible, will a KZ650 seat/tail fit an SR? No.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
06 Apr 2007 06:22 #126980 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?

I went out in the shed and attempted to mount a KZ650B tail and seat on a 1979SR and found the following;
Of course no mounts for the tail on a SR frame so mounts would have to be improvised or possibly tail could be mounted to seat instead of frame.
Worst part though is the seats are not even close. The spacing of the mounts is different plus the SR mounts are further back on the SR frame than a regular KZ650. I mean about 2" or more difference, not even close. The SR seat is a longer seat.
So to answer the question as simply as possible, will a KZ650 seat/tail fit an SR? No.

Thanks so much Ron, that is very useful info. I was looking for a reletively quick and cheap fix, but I see that is unlikely. Thanks for taking the time to check this out.
John, where did your friend get his seat? I've looked everywhere but I guess the real answer is to simply bite the bullet and have a custom made seat made on my pan.
I've seen those 're-cover' kits but it's not the cover that is bad...it's the foam materiel. I have also seen the gel-pads that can be installed in the seat but I have no confidence in my ability to rebuild the seat myself and have it look good and be durable enough. Plus, the cost of the pads is very high, so maybe the money is better spent having the seat re-made by a Pro.
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Dave and Jan

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
06 Apr 2007 18:52 #127195 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
Honestly if I remember right I think the seat was on the bike when he bought it.And when he sold it. When I get back to regular duty on Sunday (yeah I have to work Easter-somebody has to be there to roll out the door and I've been on a mini-vacation anyway) I'll ask him if it was fully functional.

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
20 Apr 2007 10:22 #132256 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
davenkids2001 wrote:

The rear cowl installation isn't my goal. I just want to find a comfortable seat for my wife and me. The SR models are just too rare and 18 months of searching for a seat have proved fruitless. However, there's LOTS of KZ seats available. So I figured I'd add the cowl and use a KZ seat...IF possible.
BTW...I like your KZ site.
Peace,
Dave and Jan

I just ran across this LTD seat kit at Dennis Kirk. These are usually really good quality and not too hard ti put on yourself. This might be the best way to go...

LTD style seat for SR

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
30 Apr 2007 09:18 #135631 by kz_canis
Replied by kz_canis on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
Don't know how many issues have been reolved off this thread, but I just did some more work to the Frankensaki.

So far I have replaced the home brew, but well done, extended swingarm. I got a stock one from a 79 650C, I think, and a brake rod off eBay. Purchased a chain breaker from Tucker Rocky and left my kid with the inlaws for 3 hours. It was quite easy, if anyone ever wants to add or replace a swingarm.

I also changed out the seat foam and the cover with one from a kz750. There were no front directionals, so I got some cheap ass ones from Lockhart Phillips. It only had one mirror, so I purchased the Napoleon bar ends.

Next I need to replace the points with an electronic setup from Dyna or an old GPZ/kz750 ltd.

I will post some pics tonight.

Murray

More
30 Apr 2007 17:16 #135740 by kz_canis
Oh, I forgot. The subframe was home brew modified as well. I do have a software package that shows cross reference for all kawasakis. I'll check that out for you, if not already solved.

Check the projects area for my swingarm refit/upgrade.
Attachments:

More
30 Apr 2007 17:16 #135741 by kz_canis
Oh, I forgot. The subframe was home brew modified as well. I do have a software package that shows cross reference for all kawasakis. I'll check that out for you, if not already solved.

Check the projects area for my swingarm refit/upgrade.
Attachments:

More
19 Jun 2007 22:24 #151028 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
I know this is an older thread, but from the pics, this is a 1977 KZ 650 B model. In 78, the 650 went to the trapizoid style front master cylinder, so this is a 77 or has a 77 front master cylinder. Another thing that makes me think it is a B model and not a C is the wheels. Someone said that it is a B model because of the single disk and that is partially correct. Their was no 16 inch rear mag wheel without a disk brake, or a single disk front mag wheel in the B, C or D model 650's. You have to go to 1981 with the CSR model to find a set of mag wheels with single disk front(19 inch) and rear mag drum brake(16 inch). You can use these wheels to get mags to replace your wire wheels without having to change one side of the front double disk taht you find on the 650C and D models or welding a bracket for the rear master cylinder.

A few other differences between the 77 and 78 B models are.....

77(and 78) had no drilled front rotor, 79 was drilled
77 had round front master cylinder, 78 had trapiziod style
77 had an on and off light switch, 78 was lights on and had the switch filled.
77 had single phase charging, 78 was dual phase(cant do an enigne swap without changing charging systems)
77 had a regulator anda rectifier, 78 had a reg/rect unit.

The D model(SR) is almost a completely different bike than the B and C models. The tanks, side covers, and duck tail(on the B and C) are compeltely different than each other and are not interchangeable. The frame is actually completely different other than the cradle for the engine. the seat on the SR is nearly 3 inches shorter. Their are several other major differences but cant recall them off hand.

Even the 2 SR models (78 and 79) have differences between the two.

The 78 has non drilled rotors, 79 are drilled.
cant remember which, but one side cover says KZ650 and has SR under the KZ650 cnetered and the other says SR650. The pin strips are different. A few other things also(Melvis really knows the SR stuff, should ask him).

Hope this helps. Most of this was off the top of my head so some of it may be slightly off or reversed so forgive me, I didnt feel like looking it all up to double check. lol

rstnick wrote:

Welcome HKI.

The back loop of the frame is a little different between the D models and B&C models, as well as missing the tail section mounting tabs. But as others have shown, anythings possable.

Here's a 650 SR in the gallery with a tail: 650SR .

More
29 Jun 2007 07:23 #153598 by iamstryc9
Replied by iamstryc9 on topic Will a KZ650 tail section fit on an SR?
wow....breath