Lacquer Clearcoat?

More
14 Feb 2007 08:39 #112306 by Robjb84
Lacquer Clearcoat? was created by Robjb84
Quick newb question: I repainted my tank and side covers with Black Gloss Enamel (DupliColor)

When I went to look for clearcoat, as per the rattlecanning guide in this forum, I can only seem to find Lacquer Clearcoat, which on the can states "Do not user on enamel"

So is there an enamel clearcoat? Or should I go ahead and use the lacquer? Because i looked through the entire dupli color range at autozone and found no such thing as an enamel clearcoat :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2007 08:47 #112309 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
If it says "Don't" don't. The solvents in lacquer produts will melt just about any other coatings there are. Don't know what to suggest other than talking it over with someone at a paint and body supply outlet.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
14 Feb 2007 08:59 #112313 by 2bskor
Replied by 2bskor on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
You can use a clearcoat meant for base coat/clear coat application. You can buy it in spray cand and are a very good quality. I'm not sure of your location but I know CarQuest sells two products one made by dominion sure seal and another by R-M or BASF. Just a heads up for the clear to adhere you must scuff the gloss from your paint if not the clear could peel or flake off.

1979 KZ1000ST (Canadian) Electronic Ignition, 4 into 1 header,K&N air filter

More
14 Feb 2007 09:01 #112316 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
DupliColor makes rattle can clearcoat. It's made to be used with DupliColor "Super Enamel. If you stay with the same brand, you should be OK. You can't put lacquer over enamel.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
14 Feb 2007 09:08 #112319 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
Hmm gotcha, either i missed it or the autozone didn't have it in stock. Well im glad i didn't just go for it with the lacquer :D

More
15 Feb 2007 03:49 #112521 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
B) Try going to the NAPA on 52nd and 30th ave. Lots of painting supplies there.

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

More
15 Feb 2007 07:16 #112564 by Robjb84
No worries, the reason I didnt find it before at autozone is that some chump had put the engine clearcoat enamel paint in front of the dupli color regular enamel clearcoat. Doh! :P

So yeah, I have the non destructive clearcoat ready to go when I have the time and ventilation :D

More
15 Feb 2007 07:39 #112567 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
Temperature is important. I think you need about 70°F.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
15 Feb 2007 07:51 #112569 by Robjb84
Yeah, I painted my other parts at..hmm about.. 5 below? :o

They look fine so far, but maybe that will be my downfall..

More
17 Feb 2007 10:02 #113112 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Lacquer Clearcoat?
I found this during a random search and thought it might enlighten as to results of improper paint matching

ZXDavid wrote:

Sweet thread! When I was 13 I had a Honda C110 sport 50. I decided to repaint the tank. The bike was white so I rumaged through my dads aerosol paint cans and found some white paint. No idea what type of paint just white is all I knew. Anyway I sanded the tank and painted it. It actually turned ok from what I remember. I then started thinking how much better it would look if it was clear coted. So after more rumaging I found some clear. What type? who knows it was clear is all I knew. Anyway I start spraying the clear and it immediately went bad with massive orange peel. I was so mad I thru the tank out into the gravel parking lot. Only problem was I had no money so I had to go get it and put it back on my bike with the bad orange peel and new dents. I was so disgusted.:sick:

:cheer: