type of paint to use

More
14 Feb 2007 08:12 #112295 by KZErider
type of paint to use was created by KZErider
Is it worth going to the extra expense of using Emron (I guess that's how you spell it) instead of using a more standard type automotive paint?

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2007 10:24 #112347 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic type of paint to use
It really depends on the bike - I wouldn't rattle can a show piece, but if you use it as a regular ride, you might want a more durable coating as well.

If you have no problem with touching up or re-doing it every few years, then a rattlecan job would be fine. I rattle can'd my bike this past fall, and I think it looks great. It definitely doesn't have that 'glass' look that professionals get, but it makes me happy to look at it. Wet sanding is a good idea too.

Any of the automotive colours works - or you could try the PJ1 line, which have motorcycle specific colours (like Kawi green). PJ1 also makes a gas-resistant clear coat you could use to finish it up.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/02/14 13:25

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2007 17:08 #112439 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic type of paint to use
imron used to be the hot setup for paint 20 years ago ,im no pro painter but im thinking the basecoat clearcoat paint systems are the hot ticket now. this bike was painted with imron in early 80s and paint is still holding up like new on it ;)
Attachments: