Seat pan restoration

More
10 Feb 2007 20:17 #111462 by KZErider
Seat pan restoration was created by KZErider
Took the seat off my KZ750E and found out just how messed up the pan is. I was also surprised to find out how thin the metal is. I guess it has to do with keeping the wait down.(?) This is an '81 model and I'm wondering if anyone of you knows what other seat pans might fit. Also, I'm wondering if any of you have had any luck with welding the tears back together and then re-enforcing the foam side of the pan with extra pieces of steal straps or patches welded to these stress points. There is some rust present, but I don't think it's enough to have caused the metal to tear -- that's at the hinges and across where the rubber rest sits against the frame. I've heard hints of this being a common problem.:unsure:

Thanks

PS: I hope this is the right forum for this question.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2007 20:27 #111464 by kwakagoose
Replied by kwakagoose on topic Seat pan restoration
Go to a bike bone yard. Lots of seat pans there.

More
11 Feb 2007 00:27 #111471 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Seat pan restoration
I wasn't too happy with my last salvage yard experience. Maybe it was just that one that turned out that way. Maybe there's someone here from the DFW area who knows a good place to go lookin'.

Thanks.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2007 08:30 #111517 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Seat pan restoration
cracks in seat pans are common problem.if you cant find a replacement id just weld the cracks up and grind them smooth you can weld a gusset on the top side under the foam where it wont be seen to keep it from cracking again.ive had pretty good luck having seat pans powder coated after repairing them seems to hold up good on them;)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Feb 2007 08:59 #111530 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Seat pan restoration
The seat for your bike (Kawi part# 53001-1187) shows as only fitting the '81/'82 KZ750 E models, however the seats from a KZ1000 J and KZ1300 look fairly similar.
I'm not sure what the differences are (length? width? mounting brackets? etc.) between them.
If you know of someone near you that has one of these bikes, maybe they'd be kind enough to let you see if their bikes seat will fit your bike. If one of them does fit, then you can broaden your search for a complete replacement seat.

Other ideas for locating a replacement seat are:
Posting an ad in the classified section here.
If you have an eBay account, you can post a free "Want It Now" ad there.
You can also register (for free) to FindMyPart.com and post a wanted ad there as well.
All of them have worked pretty well for me.

Good luck. :)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2007/02/11 12:03

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Feb 2007 10:57 #111562 by KZErider
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I found very good reponses from MRPARTS search. Very reasonable to out of my range considering how much I think I'll have to spend to try to fix this one myself. There's the fun of fiding out if it can be done and ,also, the foam and cover on mine are almost perfect. I'd rather know where the imperfections are than to take a chance on sight-unseen sometimes. Just had to hear another guy say it's been tried successfully.

Thanks again!!!:)

More
11 Feb 2007 11:11 #111564 by KZErider
Correction...MrCycleParts was through which I got some good feedback.

More
11 Feb 2007 11:26 #111566 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Seat pan restoration
Quite a while back, I seem to remember where a guy made a replacement seat pan out of fiberglass fabric and resin like you use for body repair. He took Saran wrap and put it all over the area of the bike where the seat pan sat then layed the fabric and resin over it and let it harden. He cleaned it up and then covered it and had a new seat. Might be worth a try if your pan is shot and you can't find anther one.