ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?

More
01 Feb 2007 12:09 #109534 by Robjb84
ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD? was created by Robjb84
So I removed the rear fender from my 440 LTD, im going to be bringing back the taillight and such. Anyone know of a ducktail or fender eliminator (im terrible with terms) from antoher KZ or other bike that would somehow fit onto mine? Or would it just be a simple case of making some minor modifications to make it fit? I've never seen one in person so im not really sure how they fit on to the bike...

This is where I am at:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2007 12:18 #109536 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?
It's pretty easy to fab up a piece of sheet metal to fit between the flat bar that crosses between the frame pipes and the rear of the frame. That's all it'd be.

You need a 'square' piece of sheet metal, put a couple gentle bends in it, and bold 'er on.

If you want to extend the bracket a bit to mount a tail light, that's possible too.

Just grab a piece of card board and make a mock up, then cut it out of the sheet metal with some tin snips.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/02/01 15:18

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
01 Feb 2007 12:25 #109538 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?
Nice, thanks man I will check that out.. Oh, where can I get sheet metal? Menards perhaps?

More
02 Feb 2007 10:27 #109729 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?
Home Depot carries sheet aluminum and sheet metal in (I think) 18 to 24 inch squares. Thats where I got the stuff to do mine.
pyxen got the right idea re: a mock up.....cardboard gives easier than metal....:P :laugh: ;)

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
02 Feb 2007 11:00 #109733 by Robjb84
Yeah I grabbed some from menards, havent done anything with it though :D I guess first thing I need to figure out is how im going to do my seat, then I can move onto the cowl. I kind of liked how duthz did his and he has a nice little post on how he made up his seat with some sheet metal, foam and vinyl...

More
02 Feb 2007 11:22 #109736 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?
When I first got my bike, the fender had already been removed. This caused some electrical problems due to road wash getting to some of the electrics. I went to a junkyard and got an old cracked KX motocross front fender, cut off the front half and bolted it up. I used that concave mount that sticks out the farthest back (you can see it in the pic, just under the wires for the tail lights.) The curve of the mount caused the fender to roll just enough. I allowed it to extend four inches or so back in hopes that it would offer some protection for the brake light. It will keep most, not all, of the road wash off of the lamp. (my digital camera is having some issues, sorry no pic.)

Cons, the color is a little off. Pros, it will channel more water.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

More
10 Feb 2007 23:27 #111469 by Sputnic81
Replied by Sputnic81 on topic ducktail/fender elim for 440 LTD?
Just seeing if you have made any progress on this. I have a 440 LTD that I would like to do something similar with. Pics would be great when you get it done.

More
11 Feb 2007 07:57 #111509 by Robjb84
Basically I'm copying dutchz and replacing my entire seat with some sheet aluminum and then the cowl will come next.

I'm pic crazy when it comes to the bike so for sure there will be piccage just as soon as I start :)