Custom TIG fab cafe gas tank what gauge?

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jan 2007 08:56 #106803 by sheik*yerbouti
Custom TIG fab cafe gas tank what gauge? was created by sheik*yerbouti
I've enlisted the help of an acomplished TIG welder to build me a cafe tank this Saturday. He works for a metal supply shop stocked with not only every sheet, angle, and and tubing gauge and size imaginable - but also a full compliment of fab shop toys, presses, benders, shears, shaping stuff.

What gauge do I want to make my tank out of. At a glance I'd say 16 or 18 gauge sheet. What do you guys think?

Not going for a one day completion either, will start with forming a base to fit the frame. Then a seperate top. Not going to join the two until i come up with a petcock and a filler neck and cap from a donor tank.

Comments or suggesions?

I'll certainly post up results pictures good or bad.

OK what gauge? Same for base as top? Ideas needed by 10AM EST Saturday morning.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2007 12:24 #106852 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Custom TIG fab cafe gas tank what gauge?
that seems awful thick to me,it might work for the bottem but it would be really hard to form the top and sides unless you just make it all flat.im thinking something more like 20 gauge would be plenty,i make body parts for old cars out of 22 gauge.you might want to check a heating supply place to see if you can get a sheet of of 26-28 gauge to make your patterns out of it holds up a lot better than cardboard;)

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jan 2007 18:46 #106932 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic Custom TIG fab cafe gas tank what gauge?
good idea about the thin stuff for templates. the place i'm going has up to 26awg sheets.

i can bend this 18awg bare handed and this shop has some massive machines, so i think we are gonna try it with the fifty dollar sheet i have in hand.

will advise... :evil: