Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....

More
11 Dec 2006 21:27 #99127 by caffcruiser
Update on my project: Front/Rear axles.... was created by caffcruiser
Here's a little bit of an update.

I think the pic speaks for itself.

The wheels I'm running a custom spokers from Buchanan, but I need hubs for them!

I've decided to use the KZ hubs and do some machine work to run the R6 rear and GSXR front axles (as that's the setup I'm using).

The machine work consists of:

1) Boring the front hub to accept the GSXR's larger O.D. bearings and remachining the circlip groove to take a circlip still. I think there will be enough left for the seal to mount too...

2) Boring the brake side of the rear hub to take the much larger R6 rear bearings, and making a brass sleeve for the drive side bearing (which I still have yet to receive) so that I can run the correct axle.

3) Once bearings are in, and the wheels are built up, I'll need to make some spacers so that the wheels are centered, and then...

4) Retrofitting a set of GSXR front and R6 rear rotors to everything so I can run the Gixxer and R6 calipers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
11 Dec 2006 22:17 #99131 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
Bitchin'!

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2006 09:50 #99183 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
if you figure out how to run the newer brakes on the old hubs that would be cool!B)

More
12 Dec 2006 10:06 #99185 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
wireman wrote:

if you figure out how to run the newer brakes on the old hubs that would be cool!B)

Shouldn't be too aweful hard.

The newer bikes have a greater distance between the brake rotors than the older bikes.

Whats that mean?

It means that I could have an adapter made that would be the KZ bolt pattern to mount it to the hub, and would have the correct thickness to use the GSXR rotors. The adapter could double as a spacer to center the wheel too if done right.

Other option is to weld the mount holes on the rotors up, machine it flat, and then redrill them to the right mount diameter/pattern.

:)

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2006 10:10 #99186 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
well start cranking out those adaptors so we can see how they workB)

More
12 Dec 2006 10:23 #99188 by caffcruiser
You know, I was thinking about that.

I wonder if there would be any market in stuff like that for the KZ's if someone sold parts specifically for swapping front and rear ends and such....

More
12 Dec 2006 12:17 #99194 by WTF!
You better believe there is a niche market - just look at the constant questions posted on this forum. Only problem would be the same old same ol factor - Just another bolt-on caffcruiser mod! :P

More
13 Dec 2006 09:34 #99311 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
There is aftermarket support for this stuff, just not in the USA. Klasmo is Germany makes some awesome stuff but out of the price range of anyone that doesn't have Rockafeller, Kennedy, Hilton, Gates, or Trump for a last name. Take a look at this...

Many Z fans tune the Z with a fork of newer type.To drive a classic spoke rim with a Kawasaki brake system take our adapter hubs. So you get a excellent brake system and a beautiful optics from the new fork..
This spoke wheel hub is so manufactured , that after the installation of a Suzuki GSXR750 or 1100 telescope front fork , the brakesystem, speedodrive and frontaxel from Suzuki can also add on without any problems. The hubs are milled of high-strength aluminum CNC.You can get a complet frontwheel in 3,5x18 with partnumber 42048027T

BTW, this hub will set you back $487.82!!!

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2006 11:04 #99318 by caffcruiser
See, that's a nice looking hub. But I can't see spending $487.00 on it, that's for sure. Especially consdering that it's just a reproduction of the KZ hub with a different centre bore to accept a larger bearing set... which is what I am building. :)

More
14 Dec 2006 18:31 #99664 by fiftybuckbunny
Replied by fiftybuckbunny on topic Update on my project: Front/Rear axles....
If they are one off hubs that much money is not a lot. Figure how much time to set up and machine them. Even in a CNC setup the profit margin can't be that good. There is definitely a market for that sort of thing. Make me some adapters to put bigger rotors on my 79 B3 to use the ZX 1000 calipers i have!