stock cast wheels air leaking

More
09 Dec 2006 12:05 #98499 by wiredgeorge
stock cast wheels air leaking was created by wiredgeorge
I have had several sets of stock Kaw cast wheels on my KZs over the years. ALL have leaked air some at the bead. For instance, on my KZ1000E1 ST, I will lose about 5 lbs in 3 days. The wheels were BEAD BLASTED and powdercoated (not on the bead surface) so it isn't a matter of just clean up. I use some LTD cast wheels on one of my carb test bikes form a 79 and they leak as badly. Does anyone know of a trick to keep them from leaking? Should I install tubes the next time? I hate to because if I get a flat, nothing is quite as exciting a holed tube.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 12:35 #98517 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
how about putting some of that black goo around inside of bead before you seat the tire on bead?;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/09 15:40
Attachments:

More
09 Dec 2006 13:03 #98525 by steell
Replied by steell on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
If you are running tubeless on stock tube type KZ cast wheels, then you run a serious risk of a sudden loss of air (aka blowout) when the bead of the tire pops loose :)

Pics of the differences between tubeless and tube type cast wheels are in this thread

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/12/09 16:09

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 13:08 #98527 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
arent some of them marked tube/tubeless?;)

More
09 Dec 2006 13:12 #98531 by steell
Replied by steell on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
wireman wrote:

arent some of them marked tube/tubeless?;)

None of the KZ wheels are marked tube/tubeless that I have ever seen, they either say nothing (which means they are tube type) or they say tubeless. I have never actually seen any KZ cast wheel prior to 1980 models that was marked tubeless. There may be some, I have just never seen any.

KD9JUR

More
09 Dec 2006 15:20 #98558 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
I have a Kawasaki rear wheel with the following markings on various spokes:

Kawaski
Made in Japan
J18XMT 2.5 ODOT
ENKEL-1
R1071
For Tubeless

This wheel is complete and appears to be in excellant condition. It is available.

More
09 Dec 2006 15:47 #98566 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
The ST is tubeless, the LTD and MKII are not. I think the ST was the only KZ to ever run tubeless wheels prior to 1981. There's no mistaking a tubeless wheel when you change tires because if you can break the bead loose of the wheel by any manual means without the aid of a beadbreaker or c-clamp, the wheel is definately tube type. You'll never break the bead loose on a tubeless wheel without the aid of tools. As to why your ST leaks, can't help there, I've never had problem with a tubeless wheel.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Dec 2006 16:45 #98575 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
RonKZ650 wrote:

...There's no mistaking a tubeless wheel when you change tires because if you can break the bead loose of the wheel by any manual means without the aid of a beadbreaker or c-clamp, the wheel is definately tube type. You'll never break the bead loose on a tubeless wheel without the aid of tools...

Amen brother, can I hear a Hallelujah!

...As to why your ST leaks, can't help there, I've never had problem with a tubeless wheel...

Wire brush the bead area until all the pits have been spread out enough for the rubber to seal. No more leaks. BTDT. Also do NOT use soapy water. Go get some of that waxy stuff.

More
09 Dec 2006 19:30 #98612 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
Like I mentioned, the whole wheel was bead blasted and the seat area was very clean... I have tubeless tires with no tubes on my Barney bike and guess I will need to put some tubes on that one as the rims are from an LTD. Never saw that bead sealing stuff that wireman pictured. Will look out for some at an autoparts store.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Dec 2006 17:48 #98854 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic stock cast wheels air leaking
I would run a tube in them, a friend had a flat on cast wheels and it went down real fast, when we got it fixed we went with tubes,
have you tried to over fill the tire and then dunk the wheel in to see where it may be leaking from, I would bet on the valve stem area

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob