Everyone seems to like drag racing....

More
08 Dec 2006 20:50 #98378 by caffcruiser
Everyone seems to like drag racing.... was created by caffcruiser
But what about us "canyon carvers".

I've seen PLENTY of threads about how to stiffen up a frame for serious power... so I figured that it might be kinda cool to start a different kind of chassis thread.

Let's call it:

"HOW ARE YOU MAKING YOUR BIKE HANDLE AWESOME?!?!"

Mine?

-GSXR 750 standard telescopic fork.
(Chose not to go inverted. The standard early 2000's fork is immensely adjustable, and has better handling than most people realize... better in some respects than an inverted fork in terms of rigidity when mated up to our 30 year old frames! :))

-2005 Yamaha R6 rear end with arm and shock, linkages, etc.

-40 spoke Excel 3.5 and 5.5 front and rear wheels.

-GSXR front calipers/rotor assemblies

-R6 rear caliper/rotor

-Posture. I'm keeping the back end somewhat higher. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2006 21:18 #98385 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
not building huge power, just a mild 1197.

frame will be gusseted some, but it sounds like i am building a similar combo.

05 636r front end
05 636r swingarm/linkage/shock
05 636r front and rear wheels/brakes

i went with the 636 parts mainly for looks, as i can't tell the difference between a bike that handles well and one that just handles. 8^)

i am hoping for decent ride quality, maybe a little better handling than stock, and most definitely brakes from the current decade.

i've everything, save for the wheels and brake rotors now. those i am planning on having in the next week or so.

the spokes that you are setting up for your bike sound cool. black hoops or bare?

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
More
08 Dec 2006 21:20 #98386 by scumbag
Replied by scumbag on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
duct tape and bailing wire...oh and a pocket full of pomade and a cheap black comb..thats how I get around them corners...

but really...newer harly rear shocks that are 13.5 to raise the rear up a bit and keep things stiff...inch anc a quarter pvc spacers in the front forks with 20 weight oil seem to make the front end a little more race'ish...oh and dropping the forks about a inch or so in the triples to steepen up the rake and give a little quicker steering...

all in all not quite as drastic as my friend Caff but simple and cheap...

sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

More
09 Dec 2006 02:29 #98399 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
solomrus wrote:

the spokes that you are setting up for your bike sound cool. black hoops or bare?

--r

Aluminum standards, no paint.

I'm thinking the hubs will be painted though....

More
09 Dec 2006 03:04 #98400 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
I'm with you. Spiritedriding down the small two lane roads beats drag racing or even droning along the interstate.
You seem to have attacked the problem more vigorously than I did.

So far:
>new tapered steering head bearing, progressive springs and new fork oil.
>dilled ebc rotors and steel braided lines all around (dual calipers but the original ones!)

Things I'm considering over the life of the project:
>cartridge fork emulators
>excel rims: just a little wider than stock, 2.15 front and 3.00 rear. Should give me more rubber for good contact but not change the ride too much.

Sam

caffcruiser wrote:

But what about us "canyon carvers".

I've seen PLENTY of threads about how to stiffen up a frame for serious power... so I figured that it might be kinda cool to start a different kind of chassis thread.

Let's call it:

"HOW ARE YOU MAKING YOUR BIKE HANDLE AWESOME?!?!"

Mine?

-GSXR 750 standard telescopic fork.
(Chose not to go inverted. The standard early 2000's fork is immensely adjustable, and has better handling than most people realize... better in some respects than an inverted fork in terms of rigidity when mated up to our 30 year old frames! :))

-2005 Yamaha R6 rear end with arm and shock, linkages, etc.

-40 spoke Excel 3.5 and 5.5 front and rear wheels.

-GSXR front calipers/rotor assemblies

-R6 rear caliper/rotor

-Posture. I'm keeping the back end somewhat higher. :)

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
09 Dec 2006 07:15 #98416 by kwakagoose
Replied by kwakagoose on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
My carver speaks for it self. rd400 Daytona tz style
Attachments:

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 07:21 #98417 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
Working on adding zrx12 rear end and zx12 front.Lots of gussets.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
09 Dec 2006 07:44 #98420 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
I might not ever race, but investing in a track day, is a for sure thing in my future. I completely agree with what's been said above, that a squiggly line on a map is far better than a straight line to me anyday. Not for speed, but the work-out involved, and focusing into the next corner.

Freeway on-ramps are a great mini dragstrip, but don't make up for one. Accelerating full throttle while tucking, as you toe-down into another gear is a great feeling. You gotta try it, besides it a good way to measure you and your bike's horsepower.

Backroads rule!!!

Adjusting one's suspension(if applicable) makes a difference as well. Min'e all stock, and adjustable, but I haven't messed with it from where it sits. This, too, is in the works for the future.

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2006/12/09 10:46

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 08:29 #98436 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
solomrus wrote:

not building huge power, just a mild 1197.

frame will be gusseted some, but it sounds like i am building a similar combo.

05 636r front end
05 636r swingarm/linkage/shock
05 636r front and rear wheels/brakes

i went with the 636 parts mainly for looks, as i can't tell the difference between a bike that handles well and one that just handles. 8^)

i am hoping for decent ride quality, maybe a little better handling than stock, and most definitely brakes from the current decade.

i've everything, save for the wheels and brake rotors now. those i am planning on having in the next week or so.

--r

brakes from current decade,you suck !wheres your sense of adventure?:evil: :P id say the frame gusseting would be about the same.id try and find a good stiff swingarm about same length as stock if you want to be a canyon carver but be carefull taking rake/trail out of frontend without adding a steering stabilizer.the problem with nebraska and iowa is we dont have anything to compare with a mountain road or the cost highway in california so its pretty hard to outdo a slightly modified stock suspension in a corner,but we do have some really long stretches of nothingness for long blasts thouugh!:evil: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/09 11:38

More
09 Dec 2006 09:08 #98447 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
Braced frame, and read sig;)
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
09 Dec 2006 09:10 #98450 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
wireman wrote:

the problem with nebraska and iowa is we dont have anything to compare with a mountain road or the cost highway in california

Well that and your main freeways not having any corners from one side of the state to the other. ;) :woohoo:

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 09:33 #98453 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Everyone seems to like drag racing....
caffcruiser wrote:

wireman wrote:

the problem with nebraska and iowa is we dont have anything to compare with a mountain road or the cost highway in california

Well that and your main freeways not having any corners from one side of the state to the other. ;) :woohoo:

ah youve obviously been here before!:P well we do actually have a couple curves but they all have stop signs on them,between that and the amish folk it is a little complicated!:P