Brake opinions, please...

More
08 Dec 2006 18:10 #98349 by Fossil
Brake opinions, please... was created by Fossil
I'm trying to shed weight off the GPz1100. I've already knocked a fair bit off with GSXR forks ZX wheels no fairing and most easy to trim bits have been carved off.
Just thinking about and wondering if I'm pushing my luck or taking a big step backwards running a single 310mm floating rotor and a Tokico 6 piston caliper. One disc should save weight, especially unsprung weight and I figure it will still have more stopping power than the stock setup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2006 18:56 #98355 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Brake opinions, please...
I think you'd be shedding weight in the wrong place.

Also, one rotor will give more of an uneven braking. You don't think about it, but when you brake hard there *is* a cerain amount of flexing involved....

More
08 Dec 2006 19:03 #98360 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Brake opinions, please...
The single brake works for Buell and the WP fork is basically the same design as the GSXR, both being just as stiff or resistant to flex. My concern is stopping power, taking into consideration the overall weight reduction and the upgraded brake components.
I disagree, reducing unsprung weight will have more effect on handling than weight reduction in other areas, but I am continuing to pair off weight all over the bike.

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/12/08 22:04

More
08 Dec 2006 19:10 #98362 by caffcruiser
Well you asked for opinions, but it sounds like you've already got your mind made up. :laugh:

Also, how many Buells have you ridden? The shop I work at is a Suzuki dealership, and having ridden a Buell Lightning that someone brought in and then riding a Gixxer directly afterward I can tell you for sure that I would say there's a very noticeable difference between a dual and single disc setup.

Anyhow, good luck with the brake conundrum. :) I'm trying to sort out my own right now too! :lol:

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/08 22:12

More
08 Dec 2006 19:22 #98364 by Fossil
Nope, haven't decided yet, just thinking out loud as to why I'm thinking along these lines. I haven't ridden a Buell so I don't have 1st hand experience - the difference you mention is in regard to braking power or flex?

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/12/08 22:27

More
08 Dec 2006 19:30 #98365 by caffcruiser
Fossil wrote:

Nope, haven't decided yet, just thinking out loud, why I'm thinking along these lines. I haven't ridden a Buell so I don't have 1st hand experience - the difference you mention is in regard to braking power or flex?

Power is hard to compare... one caliper and one rotor will have to work harder to do to stop a bike at a given speed compared to a bike of similar weight with 2 calipers and 2 rotors, no matter how many pistons.

When you have 2 rotors you are effectively splitting the braking force into two places, making braking easier, decreasing any uneven lateral flex, and rediucing the friction and heat per rotor by 1/2.

(When you brake VERY hard the "glazing" on your rotor also tends to be heated up to the point where it can become gasious and create a slight pillow (for lack of a better term) between the rotor and the pads... which has a outcome called brake fade. By increasing the number of calipers/rotors you are reducing the amount of work (also for lack of a better term) that each has to do, in turn reducing the heat and friction and making braking safer. This is also why most rotors on sportbikes are crossdrilled and/or slotted.)

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/08 22:31

More
08 Dec 2006 19:33 #98366 by caffcruiser
Put another way: Reducing weight is an awesome idea... but one place to you don't to start toying around is safety. There's a reason that you see bikes in GP running a DD front.... ;)

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/08 22:34

More
08 Dec 2006 19:35 #98367 by Fossil
Makes sense re the heat factor. I do have the complete dual brake setup so it's probably a good idea to run both and once I work the bugs out of the rest of the mods, and I get the urge to experiment, might try one rotor just to see. Then again, if I get hooked on the braking power, both will be staying on!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
09 Dec 2006 08:24 #98432 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Brake opinions, please...
How about under the seat? Is there any room for weight reduction there.? I took everything out and started over with a light weight battery box.Inner rear fender,center stand, drill holes,(remove tires there very heavy.lol)?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)