Anti Theft Chain

More
06 Dec 2006 18:28 #97926 by Wes_R
Anti Theft Chain was created by Wes_R
Hi,

My bike has an Anti Theft Chain that does not pull out. I have banged on it using a bar through the loop and have gotten it out about an inch so I feel sure I will be able to get it all the way out, but I don't know if I will be able to get it back in.

This bike was sitting for about 10 years before I bought it and got it running, so I'm guessing it's just corroded. Looking at the little bit I was able to pull out, it appears that this is something like a rubber coated cable. Is that what it is?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clean and possibly lubricate this so it works?

I don't really need it, but I'm trying to get everything working on this bike. Should I just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,

82 KZ-1000 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2006 18:54 #97930 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Anti Theft Chain
Yes, it's a rubber coated cable pushed up into the frame tubes. My dad had a brand new 1981 KZ1000J we put this accessory cable lock on. If it doesn't pull out, I'd assume you're correct that it's corroded. Not any other causes possible that come to mind.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
09 Dec 2006 05:57 #98407 by Wes_R
Replied by Wes_R on topic Anti Theft Chain
Thanks,

Anyone have any ideas on how to best get this working. I'm still afraid to pull it out. Of course I could cut it if I can't get it back in, but I really don't want to do that.

It's just one of those things that bug you because you know it's not working right.

82 KZ-1000 CSR

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
09 Dec 2006 09:11 #98451 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Anti Theft Chain
Wes,

That cable was something Kawi offered back in the 80's as an accessory. If you were to look at the round, steel framed street bikes Kawi offered from about '80?~'85, they all had at least one place to install that cable. The place(s) where the cable would install is easiy found, as it's basically a small (roughly about 1"~2" long) tube that's welded into the frame and has a plastic cap covering it to help prevent Mother Nature from rotting the frame from the inside-out.

IIRC, they were offered in several diff lengths and diameters depending on the bike models they were designed to fit. Kawi no longer offers them, but every so often I'll see a new one pop up on eBay.

The cable end that goes into the frame has a chunk of lead molded to the end of it which resembles half of an arrowhead. That chunk of lead will "anchor" itself to the inside edge of that welded on tube when the cable is pulled outwards for use, and helps prevent the entire cable from simply being pulled out completely.

So basically the only way to remove that cable from the frame would be to cut it. Which obviously renders it useless thereafter, and would still leave that arrowhead-shaped chunk of lead and a portion of rubber coated cable rattling around in the frame. :pinch:

I'd suggest spraying either some WD-40, graphite or silicone lubricant in there to see if it frees it up and makes it functional again.

Good luck! :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
09 Dec 2006 17:49 #98587 by Wes_R
Replied by Wes_R on topic Anti Theft Chain
Thanks for the ideas. I originally tried liquid wrench and then got it out about an inch and a half or so. Once I saw it was rubber or plastic, I cleaned off the LW and any corrosion, but it didn't seem too corroded. I then put silicone lubricant on it and beat it back in. I got it back out about an inch, but it seemed as hard as it was the first time.

I really haven't spent much time working on it because I was waiting for suggestions and I didn't want to get it out too far and not be able to get it back in.

Guess I will just keep working it in and out a little further each time and see if it loosens up eventually.

82 KZ-1000 CSR