Zinc or cad 1?

More
03 Dec 2006 18:28 #97174 by yeperra
Zinc or cad 1? was created by yeperra
Does any know which plating was used on the hardware for 73-75 Z1's? I have a box of old bolts, screws and the like to have replated and just want to get the right plating. The choices are zinc or cad I. Also what did Kawasaki do to keep the aluminum cases, which most people glass bead, from croding? I can't seem to get the shine they had when new. I am thinking of either clear powder coating or clear anodizing for the ones I have off.

Thanks
Yon Perras

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2006 20:01 #97197 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Zinc or cad 1?
id say zinc or nickle plating.the 73 motors had black cases and polished covers 74-75s had just bare aluminum cases and polished covers .the cases dull naturally over time from exposure ive used spray on mag wheel cleaner to clean cases and cylinders on assembled motors before just be carefull around painted parts.for the covers the only way i know is lots of rubbing with mothers aluminum polish.ive tried the mothers billet polish but i liked the regular stuff better;)

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
04 Dec 2006 04:55 #97301 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Zinc or cad 1?
Yon, should be zinc plated, nickle is more expensive and would be only used where a more chrome like look was desired.

Not sure about the early year bikes having any kind of clear coat on them but I doubt it. Count your blessing that it doesn't because with age that coating looks like crap and is very hard to remove.

If you can afford the cost then go anodizing. Personally I'd just bead blast and polish from time to time IMHO.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)