Weight difference and fork swap?

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
03 Dec 2006 02:21 #96964 by hardr0ck68
Weight difference and fork swap? was created by hardr0ck68
I would like to do a fork swap (years from now) and i was just wondering is you need to do anything to make up for the weight differance.

I was looking at specs and what i saw said a kz650 is around 80kg heavier than a gsxr (i dont know if thats true i just saw the specs online, i or the web page could be wrong).

However if that is the case what do you do to the forks (if anything). Just wondering.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2006 08:39 #97014 by kyradawg
Replied by kyradawg on topic Weight difference and fork swap?
You rejoice that your front suspension has been vastly improved. The lower un-sprung weight allows the front wheel to stay in contact with and react to changes in the road surface much more effectively.

I dont know as I have not weighed them but the differance in weight between my Z1 fork/wheel/triples assembly and the Hayabusa pieces I replaced them with felt to be about 20LBS.

Peace&Love,:lol: Darren

More
03 Dec 2006 10:24 #97037 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Weight difference and fork swap?
If I'm reading this right, you're asking if the GSXR's spring rate will be heavy enough for the the extra weight of the Kawasaki. This is the first time I've seen this come up, and the fact that there are a lot of older bikes with later front ends installed, I don't think this will be a problem. I'm not worried about it myself, sportbikes are sprung a little stiffer than the old KZs and GPzs. And, as mentioned, the unsprung weight will be less so it will be less work for the springs to keep the tire on the road.

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
04 Dec 2006 01:15 #97289 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Weight difference and fork swap?
It seems that the older bikes are much heavier than newer ones; so i wondered if the extra weight would affect the forks from a much lighter ride.

I wont be doing a fork swap any time soon, its just something i was thinkin about.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.